Karl August Friedrich of Waldeck and Pyrmont (September 24, 1704 – August 29, 1763) was Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont and Commander of the Dutch forces in the War of Austrian Succession.
Royal life and military career
Karl was the second son of Friedrich Anton Ulrich, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont and Countess Palatine Louise of Zweibrücken-Birkenfeld.
In 1728 his father and his elder brother Christian Philip died, and so he became Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont .
The Waldecks had a tradition of military service in the Dutch Army.
Prince Georg Friedrich of Waldeck had already led the Dutch army in the War of the Grand Alliance. In the War of Austrian Succession, Karl was appointed as commander of the Dutch Army by the States-General of the Netherlands, as counterbalance to William IV, Prince of Orange, who relied completely on his brother-in-law the Duke of Cumberland. The Dutch army under Waldeck's command was defeated in the Battle of Fontenoy, the Battle of Rocoux and the Battle of Lauffeld. In 1746, Karl became Fieldmarshal of the Holy Roman Empire.
Marriage and children
In Zweibrücken, on August 19, 1741, Karl August married his first cousin Christiane Henriette, Countess Palatine of Zweibrücken (1725–1816), daughter of Christian III, Count Palatine of Zweibrücken. The couple had seven children:
- Prince Charles of Waldeck and Pyrmont (1742–1756)
- Friedrich Karl August, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont (1743–1812)
- Christian August, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont (1744–1798), a Field Marshal in the Portuguese army
- George I, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont (1747–1813); married Princess Augusta of Schwarzburg-Sondershausen
- Princess Caroline of Waldeck and Pyrmont (1748–1782), married Peter von Biron, last Duke of Courland and Semigallia
- Princess Louise of Waldeck and Pyrmont (1751–1816), married Frederick Augustus, Duke of Nassau
- Prince Louis of Waldeck and Pyrmont (1752–1793), killed in action near Kortrijk
|Ancestors of Karl August, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont|
- This article incorporates information from the equivalent article on this wikiNo language provided for the interwiki translation template!
- Marek, Miroslav. "Genealogy Euweb". Genealogy.EU. http://genealogy.euweb.cz/waldeck/waldeck4.html. [better source needed]
Karl August, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont
House of Waldeck and Pyrmont
Cadet branch of the House of WaldeckBorn: 24 September 1704 Died: August 29 1763
Friedrich Anton Ulrich
|Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont
1 January 1728 – August 29, 1763
Friedrich Karl August
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|