|Joseph Anton von Simbschen|
|Born||6 October 1746|
|Died||14 January 1820 (aged 73)|
|Place of birth||Kunštát, modern Czech Republic|
|Place of death||Vienna, Austria|
|Years of service||1761–1815, 1818–1820|
|Awards||Order of Maria Theresa, KC 1806|
Joseph Anton von Simbschen (6 October 1746 – 14 January 1820) served in the Austrian army during the War of the First Coalition as a staff officer in Italy. He rose in rank to general officer and fought at Loano, Limburg, and Neuwied. During the War of the Second Coalition in 1799 he led the Austrian forces at Amsteg in Switzerland and later earned promotion to Feldmarschall-Leutnant. He led a division during the German campaign in 1800. His actions at Caldiero in 1805 earned him the Order of Maria Theresa. Simbschen was seen as a braggart and loudmouth, qualities which earned him many enemies. When his friend Archduke Charles, Duke of Teschen resigned from the army in 1809, Simbschen's enemies pounced; he was court-martialed, cashiered, and sentenced to house arrest in 1813. The Aulic War Council imposed a harsher prison sentence in 1815, but in 1818 his military rank and awards were restored.
- Arnold, James R. (2005). Marengo & Hohenlinden: Napoleon's Rise to Power. Barnsley, South Yorkshire: Pen and Sword. ISBN 1-84415-279-0.
- Duffy, Christopher (1999). Eagles Over the Alps: Suvarov in Italy and Switzerland, 1799. Chicago, Ill.: The Emperor's Press. ISBN 1-883476-18-6.
- Hirtenfeld, J. (1857). "Der Militär-Maria-Theresien-Orden und seine Mitglieder: Nach Authentischen Quellen Bearbeitet" (in de). Vienna: Kaiserlich-Königlichen. https://books.google.com/books?id=IPQO07ij8D0C&pg=PA271#v=onepage&.
- Phipps, Ramsay Weston (2011). The Armies of the First French Republic and the Rise of the Marshals of Napoleon I: The Armies of the Rhine in Switzerland, Holland, Italy, Egypt, and the Coup d'Etat of Brumaire (1797-1799). 5. Pickle Partners Publishing. ISBN 978-1-908692-28-3.
- Pivka, Otto von (1979). Armies of the Napoleonic Era. New York, N.Y.: Taplinger Publishing. ISBN 0-8008-5471-3.
- Smith, Digby (1998). The Napoleonic Wars Data Book. London: Greenhill. ISBN 1-85367-276-9.
- Smith, Digby; Kudrna, Leopold (2008). "Austrian Generals of 1792-1815: Simbschen, Joseph Anton Freiherr von". napoleon-series.org. http://www.napoleon-series.org/research/biographies/Austria/AustrianGenerals/c_AustrianGeneralsS1.html#S74. Retrieved 14 June 2018.
Anton von Thurn-Valle-Sassina
|Inhaber of Infantry Regiment Nr. 43
Joseph Philipp Vukassovich
|Inhaber of Infantry Regiment Nr. 48
Paul von Radivojevich
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|