John Rogers Galvin (born May 13, 1929) is a retired American general who was Dean of the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University and a member of the U.S. Commission on National Security/21st Century.
He graduated from West Point in 1954.
General Galvin's career included the rare opportunity to command 2 different Department of Defense Unified Commands. He served as Commander in Chief, United States Southern Command in Panama from 1985 to 1987 and Commander in Chief, United States European Command from June 26, 1987, to June 23, 1992. During his stint as commander US European Command he also served as NATO's Supreme Allied Commander, Europe. Prior to his command at US Southern Command, General Galvin served as commander of VII Corps from July 1983- February 1985.
The Galvin Middle School in Wakefield, Massachusetts, is named after him. General Galvin began his service as an enlisted man in the Massachusetts National Guard in 1947. He served his country in uniform for over 45 years. General Galvin now lives with his wife Ginny and has four daughters.
- Defense Distinguished Service Medal
- Army Distinguished Service Medal
- Silver Star
- Legion of Merit (with two oak leaf clusters)
- Distinguished Flying Cross
- Soldier's Medal
- Bronze Star (with two oak leaf clusters)
- Air Medal with V Device for valor
- Great Cross of Merit with star of the Federal Republic of Germany
- Ordre de la Légion d'honneur Grand Officier
- Spanish Order of Military Merit Grand Cross
- Order of Orange-Nassau Grand Cross, 1992 
- Combat Infantryman Badge
- Senior Parachutist Badge
- 2006: The Minute Men: The First Fight: Myths and Realities of the American Revolution (ISBN 1597970700)
- 1997: Three Men of Boston (ISBN 1574881116)
- 1969: Air Assault: the Development of Airmobile
- Notable graduates of West Point
- 6th Dean of the The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy
Gen. Bernard W. Rogers
|Supreme Allied Commander Europe (NATO)
Gen. John Shalikashvili
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|