|John Carl Murchie|
|Born||June 7, 1895|
|Died||March 5, 1966(aged 70)|
|Place of birth||Edmundston, New Brunswick|
|Place of death||Ottawa, Ontario|
|Years of service||1912 - 1945|
|Commands held||Chief of the General Staff|
World War I|
World War II
Companion of the Order of the Bath|
Commander of the Order of the British Empire
Canadian Forces Decoration
Lieutenant-General John Carl Murchie CB CBE CD (June 7, 1895 – March 5, 1966) was a Canadian soldier and Chief of the General Staff, the head of the Canadian Army from December 27, 1943 until August 21, 1945.
Murchie graduated with a Military Qualification certificate from the Royal Military College of Canada in Kingston, Ontario in 1915 during World War I. He served with the Canadian Army in France from 1915 to 1917.
He also served in World War II and became a General Staff Officer at National Defence Headquarters in 1939. In 1940 he became Director of Military Operations and in 1941 he was made Director of Military Training & Staff Duties. Later that year he was appointed a Brigadier on the General Staff at Canadian Military Headquarters in England. He then went on to be Vice Chief of the General Staff in 1942. He served as Chief of the General Staff from 1944 until 1945 and retired in 1946.
- 4237 Dr. Adrian Preston & Peter Dennis (Edited) "Swords and Covenants" Rowman And Littlefield, London. Croom Helm. 1976.
- H16511 Dr. Richard Arthur Preston "To Serve Canada: A History of the Royal Military College of Canada" 1997 Toronto, University of Toronto Press, 1969.
- H16511 Dr. Richard Arthur Preston "Canada's RMC - A History of Royal Military College" Second Edition 1982
- H16511 Dr. Richard Preston "R.M.C. and Kingston: The effect of imperial and military influences on a Canadian community" 1968 Kingston, Ontario.
- H1877 R. Guy C. Smith (editor) "As You Were! Ex-Cadets Remember". In 2 Volumes. Volume I: 1876-1918. Volume II: 1919-1984. RMC. Kingston, Ontario. The R.M.C. Club of Canada. 1984
- MapArt Golden Horseshoe Atlas - Page 657 - Grids M13, M14
- J.L. Granatstein. The Generals : the Canadian Army's Senior Commanders in the Second World War (Toronto, 1993). ISBN 0-7737-5728-7
|Chief of the General Staff
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|