|James P. Herron|
Herron from The Arbutus, 1923
New Kensington, Pennsylvania
December 20, 1967 (aged 73)|
U.S. Army Air Corps|
U.S. Army Air Forces
|Years of service||1917–1919, 1942–1946|
World War I|
World War II
James Patrick "Pat" Herron (1894 – December 20, 1967) was an American football player and coach. He played at end for the University of Pittsburgh's football team from 1913 to 1916. A member of the Panthers' undefeated national championship teams coached by "Pop" Warner in 1915 and 1916, Herron earned first team All-American honors in 1916. Following graduation, Herron served as first assistant coach to Warner before being leaving to become the head coach at Indiana University Bloomington in 1922. He also served as the head coach at Duke University in 1925 and at Washington and Lee University from 1926 to 1928. Herron, who also earned a law degree, served in the aviation service during World War I and was credited for bringing down two German planes. Herron died at the age of 73 on December 20, 1967 at Monongahela Memorial Hospital in Monongahela, Pennsylvania.
Head coaching record
|Indiana Hoosiers (Big Ten Conference) (1922)|
|Duke Blue Devils (Independent) (1925)|
|Washington and Lee Generals (Southern Conference) (1926–1928)|
|1926||Washington and Lee||4–3–2||3–2–1||T–7th|
|1927||Washington and Lee||4–4–1||2–3||T–12th|
|1928||Washington and Lee||2–8||1–6||T–20th|
|Washington and Lee:||10–15–3||6–11–1|
- Sell, Jack (October 10, 1933). "Panther Given Memorable Tussle By Navy in Their Last Clash". http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=NgANAAAAIBAJ&sjid=MmkDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3261%2C5534900. Retrieved September 8, 2009.
- "Big 10 Coaches Clear Up Rule On Shift Play". September 9, 1922. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/chicagotribune/access/353758842.html?dids=353758842:353758842&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:AI&type=historic&date=Sep+14%2C+1922&author=&pub=Chicago+Tribune&desc=BIG+10+COACHES+CLEAR+UP+RULE+ON+SHIFT+PLAY&pqatl=google. Retrieved September 8, 2009.
- "Herron on Warner". February 4, 1939. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=vs0MAAAAIBAJ&sjid=f2kDAAAAIBAJ&&pg=2077%2C2715178. Retrieved September 8, 2009.
- "Pat Herron, Lawyer, Pitt All-American, 73". December 22, 1967. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=OigjAAAAIBAJ&sjid=bWwDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5746,3757827. Retrieved May 17, 2012.
- James P. Herron at the College Football Data Warehouse
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|