28 May 1890|
30 October 1918 (aged 28)|
Jack Lindsay Doubleday (28 May 1890 – 30 October 1918) was an Australian rules footballer who played with University and Melbourne in the Victorian Football League.
The son of John Doubleday (1837-1907), and Elizabeth Josephine Doubleday (1863-1943), née Naeser, Jack Lindsay Doubleday was born at Prahran, Victoria on 28 May 1890.
He was educated at All Saints' Grammar School, in East St Kilda, and at Wesley College, Melbourne (from 1906 to 1910).
He studied dentistry at the University of Melbourne, and graduated Bachelor of Dental Science (BDSc) on 20 December 1916.
The University team withdrew from the VFL competition prior to the 1915 season; and, along with his team-mates Jack Brake, Claude Bryan, Dick Gibbs, Roy Park, and Percy Rodriguez, Doubleday was given a clearance to transfer from University to Melbourne.
- Holmesby & Main (2014), p.234.
- Deaths: Doubleday, The Argus, (Thursday, 8 April 1943), p.2.
- The school operated on the corner of Dandenong Road and Chapel Street from 1871 to 1937 (see All Saints' Grammar School: All Saints’ Anglican Church, The Spirit of St Kilda,)
- University of Melbourne: Conferring of Degrees, The Argus, (Thursday, 21 December 1916), p.9.
- Inter-University Football: Melbourne University Team, The (Adelaide) Chronicle, (Saturday, 17 August 1912), p.29.
- Melbourne, The Herald, (Friday, 16 April 1915), p.3.
- On Shipboard and in Egypt: A Nurse's Letter, The West Australian, (Thursday, 6 February 1919), p.5.
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
- Holmesby, Russell; Main, Jim (2014). The Encyclopedia of AFL Footballers: every AFL/VFL player since 1897 (10th ed.). Melbourne, Victoria: Bas Publishing. ISBN 978-1-921496-32-5.
- Main, J. & Allen, D., "Doubleday, Jack", pp.55-56 in Main, J. & Allen, D., Fallen – The Ultimate Heroes: Footballers Who Never Returned From War, Crown Content, (Melbourne), 2002. ISBN 1-74095-010-0
- Wesley College: Roll of Honour: Lieutenant Jack Lindsay Doubleday.
- Roll of Service Overseas 1914–1918: Roll of the Fallen: Doubleday, Jack Lindsay 1911, The University of Melbourne Record of Active Service of Teachers, Graduates, Undergraduates, Officers and Servants in the European War, 1914–1918, University of Melbourne, (Melbourne), p.12.
- First World War Embarkation Roll: Lieutenant Jack Lindsay Doubleday, collection of the Australian War Memorial.
- First World War Nominal Roll: Lieutenant Jack Lindsay Doubleday, collection of the Australian War Memorial.
- First World War Service Record: Lieutenant Jack Lindsay Doubleday, collection of the National Archives of Australia.
- Roll of Honour Circular: Lieutenant Jack Lindsay Doubleday, collection of the Australian War Memorial.
- Australian War Memorial: Roll of Honour: Lieutenant Jack Lindsay Doubleday.
- Lieutenant Jack Lindsay Doubleday, Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Category:Jack Doubleday.|
- J's statistics from AFL Tables
- J's profile from AustralianFootball.com
- Jack Doubleday, at Demonwiki.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|