Hyderabad airstrike refers to the killing of a large number of Afghan civilians including women and children in the village of Hyderabad, Gerishk District, Helmand province, Afghanistan on June 28, 2007.
The airstrikes occurred after Taliban forces ambushed a combined US-Afghan army force in Hyderabad and destroyed two US military vehicles with mines. A firefight ensued and US-Afghan forces called in airstrikes in response to heavy small arms and mortar fire. Coalition spokesperson Major Chris Belcher stated the airstrikes targeted Taliban firing positions in the village. The numbers of casualties vary depending on the source some give total numbers as high as 130 with up to 80-100 civilians killed.
President Hamid Karzai ordered an investigation. Residents of the town of Hyderabad claimed that from 45 to 65 civilians were killed. An investigation by the Afghan government concluded that 45 civilians including women and children had been killed. Village elders say another 23 civilians were wounded in the attack.
- Azizabad airstrike 78-92 civilians mostly children killed in Herat province, 2008
- Deh Bala wedding party bombing 47 civilians mostly children killed in Nangarhar province, 2008
- Narang night raid 10 Afghan civilians mostly school boys were killed on December 27, 2009.
- Granai airstrike 86-145 civilians, mostly children killed in Farah province, 2009
- Uruzgan helicopter attack 27-33 civilians killed in Orūzgān province, 2010
- 'Up to 80 civilians dead' after US air strikes in Afghanistan | World news | The Observer
- People's Daily Online - Roundup: 80 Afghan civilians killed by air strike of foreign troops
- Civilians Die In U.S.-NATO Air Assault In Afghanistan
- Karzai probe into 'civilian air strike deaths' | The Australian
- "NATO air strikes kill villagers". Herald Sun. July 2, 2007. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/nato-air-strikes-kill-villagers/story-e6frf7lf-1111113863754. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- 45 civilians, mostly women and children were killed in NATO airstrike (Photos) « RAWA News
- 62 Afghan Insurgents, 45 Civilians Dead - CBS News
- More Afghan civilians die | Toronto Star
- 45 civilians, mostly women and children were killed in NATO airstrike (Photos)
- Troops in contact": airstrikes and civilian deaths in Afghanistan Human Rights Watch
- 'Bomber McNeill' reveals the 'Cheapness' of Afghan lives: the massacre in Haydarabad, Helmand
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|