|Died||1947 (aged 64–65)|
1st Bn, Northamptonshire Regiment|
66th (2nd East Lancashire) Division
2nd Rhine Brigade
Presidency and Assam District
|Battles/wars||First World War|
Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire|
Companion of the Order of the Bath
Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George
Commander of the Royal Victorian Order
Distinguished Service Order
Educated at Charterhouse School and the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich, Bethell was commissioned into the Royal Garrison Artillery on 24 December 1902. He became commanding officer of the 1st Battalion, the Northamptonshire Regiment on the Western Front in late 1915, commander of the 74th Brigade in late 1916 and General Officer Commanding 66th (2nd East Lancashire) Division in March 1918. Aged just 36, he was the youngest divisional commander of the 20th century.
After the war he became military attaché to Washington, D.C. in 1919, commander of 2nd Rhine Brigade in April 1924 and Brigadier on the general staff at Northern Command in India in April 1928. His last appointment was as General Officer Commanding Presidency and Assam District in India in December 1930 before retiring in December 1934. Following his retirement he was appointed a Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire in the 1935 Birthday Honours.
- "No. 27528". 24 February 1903. p. 1217. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/27528/page/1217
- "Major-General Bethell (1882-1947)". A Year of War. http://ayearofwar.com/2018/07/25/www-war-diary-1918-western-front-major-general-bethell/. Retrieved 26 June 2020.
- "British Divisional Commanders during the Great War". Western Front Association. https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/world-war-i-articles/british-divisional-commanders-during-the-great-war-first-thoughts/. Retrieved 26 June 2020.
- "WWI Western Front DSO group to Major-General H.K. Bethell". Warwick and Warwick. https://www.warwickandwarwick.com/resources/articles-library/wwi-western-front-dso-group-to-maj-gen-hk-bethell-the-youngest-british-divisional-commander-of-the-20th-century. Retrieved 26 June 2020.
- "Army Commands". https://www.gulabin.com/armynavy/pdf/Army%20Commands%201860-.pdf. Retrieved 20 June 2020.
- "No. 34166". 3 June 1935. p. 3601. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/34166/supplement/3601
|GOC 66th (2nd East Lancashire) Division
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|