|Howa Type 96|
Howa Type 96 AGL on display
|Type||Automatic grenade launcher|
|Place of origin||Japan|
|Produced||1996 - Present|
|Barrel length||454 mm|
|Rate of fire||250-350 rpm|
|Maximum range||1500 m|
|Feed system||50-round magazine|
With the need of a heavy fire support weapon in Japan Self-Defense Forces (JSDF) service aside from the use of the Sumitomo Type 62 GPMG and the Sumitomo M2HB machine gun, Howa first created and produced the weapon in 1996.
The Howa Type 96 can be used by both infantry and armored vehicles, the former with a tripod and the latter by being placed on a weapon mount.
On the left side of the Type 96 is a feeding bay where the 40 mm grenades can be loaded onto the AGL.
- "96式 40mm自動てき弾銃" (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2009-01-06. http://web.archive.org/web/20090106230736/http://rightwing.sakura.ne.jp/equipment/jgsdf/infantry/type96grenade-launcher/type96grenade-launcher.html. Retrieved 2009-01-13.
- " 96式40mm自動てき(擲)弾銃" (in Japanese). http://www15.tok2.com/home/lttom/military-powers_jgsdf/shokaki/40mm_granade/military-powers_granadeframe.html. Retrieved 2009-11-04.
- "96式装輪装甲車" (in Japanese). http://www.masdf.com/spec/land/japan/96apc.html. Retrieved 2009-01-13.
- "９６式40mm自動てき弾銃" (in Japanese). http://tag.vis.ne.jp/jsdf/soubi/jgsdf/96teki.html. Retrieved 2009-01-27.
- "９６式４０㎜自動てき弾銃" (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2011-07-22. http://web.archive.org/web/20110722084034/http://militaryroom.chips.jp/newpage39.html. Retrieved 2009-01-13.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|