|Born||2 January 1921|
|Died||18 August 1944(aged 23)|
|Place of birth||Wuppertal-Barmen|
|Place of death||Bay of Biscay|
|Years of service||1939–1944|
|Rank||Oberleutnant zur See|
22nd U-boat Flotilla|
23rd U-boat Flotilla
(5 August 1943–4 May 1944)
(15 May–18 August 1944)
Iron Cross 1st and 2nd Class|
U-boat War Badge
Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
Hermann Stuckmann (2 January 1921 in Wuppertal-Barmen – 23 August 1944 in the Bay of Biscay) was a German U-boat commander in World War II and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross (German language: Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes). The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. In his short combat career he sank one ship, and damaged two others.
Stuckmann joined the Kriegsmarine in September 1939. After training aboard the ship Schleswig-Holstein, he took part in the occupation of Denmark in April 1940. In July 1941 he joined the U-boat force and served as Watch Officer for more than a year aboard U-571 under the command of Kapitänleutnant Helmut Möhlmann.
In August 1943 Stuckmann commissioned the Type VIIC U-boat U-316, and was promoted to Oberleutnant zur See in October 1943. He commanded U-316 as a school boat in the Baltic Sea until May 1944, when he took command of the combat boat U-621. During the summer of 1944 he operated against Allied landing ships in the English Channel.
|15 June 1944||USS LST-280||1,625||United States||Damaged|
|29 July 1944||HMS Prince Leopold||2,938||United Kingdom||Sunk|
|30 July 1944||SS Ascanius||10,048||United Kingdom||Damaged|
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (15 May 1942)
- 1st Class (18 November 1942)
- U-boat War Badge (1939) (15 May 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 11 August 1944 as Oberleutnant zur See and commander of U-621
- Busch, Hans-Joachim; Röll (2003) (in German). Der U-Boot-Krieg 1939–1945 — Die Ritterkreuzträger der U-Boot-Waffe von September 1939 bis Mai 1945 [The U-Boat War 1939–1945 — The Knight's Cross Bearers of the U-Boat Force from September 1939 to May 1945]. Hamburg, Berlin, Bonn Germany: Verlag E.S. Mittler & Sohn. ISBN 978-3-8132-0515-2.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) (in German). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches]. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Kurowski, Franz (1995). Knight's Cross Holders of the U-Boat Service. Atglen, PA: Schiffer Publishing. ISBN 978-0-88740-748-2.
- Range, Clemens (1974). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Kriegsmarine [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the Navy]. Stuttgart, Germany: Motorbuch Verlag. ISBN 978-3-87943-355-1.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007) (in German). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives]. Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|