|Born||April 1, 1914|
|Died||2 February 1992(aged 77)|
|Place of birth||Waldheim, Saxony, Germany|
|Place of death||Borken, Germany|
|Years of service||1937–1945|
|Unit||2nd SS Panzer Division Das Reich|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Iron Cross 1st Class
Iron Cross 2nd Class
German Cross in Gold
Close Combat Clasp in Gold
Herbert Schulze (1 April 1914 — 2 February 1992) was a Sturmbannführer (Major), in the Waffen-SS during World War II who was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross, which was awarded to recognize extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership by Nazi Germany during World War II. He was also one of only 631 men awarded the very rare Close Combat Clasp in Gold.
Herbert Schulze was born on the 1 April 1914, at Waldheim, Saxony.
By 1943 he had been promoted to Hauptsturmführer (Captain) and was given command of the 6th Company, SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment Der Führer, (2nd SS Panzer Division Das Reich). It was while in command of this Regiment that he was awarded the German Cross in Gold for bravery in May.
He was the commander of the II. Battalion, 4th SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment Der Führer when he was awarded the Close Combat Clasp in Gold in November 1943.
He was awarded the Knight's Cross in December 1943.
Herbert Schulze ended the war in command of SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment Schulze which was part of the SS-Kampfgruppe Trabandt (Battle Group Trabandt)
Herbert Schulze survived the war and died on the 2 February 1992 at Borken in Germany.
- Berger 2004, p. 6.
- Kurowski, Franz (2005). Infantry Aces. Stackpole Books. ISBN 0-8117-3202-9.
- Berger, Florian (2004). Ritterkreuzträger mit Nahkampfspange in Gold. ISBN 3-9501307-3-X.
- Mattson, Gregory Louis (2002). SS—Das Reich: The History of the Second SS division, 1939–45. Spellmount. ISBN 1-86227-144-5.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945. Friedburg: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Mitcham, Samuel, Jr. (2007). Retreat to the Reich. Stackpole Books. ISBN 0-8117-3384-X.
- Henschler, Henri; Will, Fay (2003). Armor Battles of the Waffen-SS, 1943–45. Stackpole Books. ISBN 0-8117-2905-2.