|Harakat Sham al-Islam|
Syrian Islamic Movement
حركة شام الإسلام |
Participant in Syrian Civil War
Harakat Sham al-Islam Logo
|Leaders||Ibrahim bin Shakaran†|
Latakia Governorate, Syria|
Aleppo Governorate, Syria
|Strength||500 (April 2014)|
|Allies||Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant|
|Opponents||Syrian Armed Forces|
Harakat Sham al-Islam (Arabic language: حركة شام الإسلام, meaning "Islamic Movement of the Levant") is a jihadist group composed of primarily Moroccans that has been active during the Syrian Civil War.
Founded in August 2013 by three Moroccan freed detainees from the Guantanamo Bay detention camp, Ibrahim bin Shakran, Ahmed Mizouz and Mohammed Alami, Harakat Sham al-Islam first came to notice became of the role it played in the 2013 Latakia offensive. The following year the group was one of the three primary factions, alongside Al-Nusra Front and Ansar al-Sham, that look part in the 2014 Latakia offensive. Harakat Sham al-Islam also has a presence in Aleppo, being involved in battles for Kindi Hospital and the Aleppo Central Prison.
- "Ex-Guantánamo detainee dies fighting Assad in Syria". 18 September 2013. http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/09/17/3633584/ex-guantanamo-detainee-dies-fighting.html. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "Muhajireen Battalions in Syria". 13 December 2013. http://www.aymennjawad.org/14144/muhajireen-battalions-in-syria. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "Former Guantanamo detainee killed while leading jihadist group in Syria". Long War Journal. 4 April 2014. http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2014/04/former_guantanamo_de_2.php#. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Ex-Guantanamo prisoner killed in Syria". Al Jazeera English. 18 September 2013. http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/9/18/ex-guantanamo-prisonerkilledinsyria.html. Retrieved 29 May 2014.
- "After Guantanamo, Freed Detainees Returned to Violence in Syria Battlefields". The Wall Street Journal. 3 June 2014. http://online.wsj.com/articles/after-guantanamo-freed-detainees-return-to-violence-in-syria-battlefields-1401839291. Retrieved 5 June 2014.
- "Syrie: combats féroces autour d'un point de passage avec la Turquie". 21 March 2014. http://www.lorientlejour.com/article/859899/syrie-combats-feroces-autour-dun-point-de-passage-avec-la-turquie.html. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- Abu Ahmad al-Maghrebi (Ibrahim Bencheqroun), un vétéran du Jihad mort en Syrie | Jihad veteran killed in Syria
- "The Syrian rebel groups pulling in foreign fighters". BBC. 24 December 2013. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-25460397. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- The death of the commander of the movement Cham Islam and his deputy during clashes with regime forces
- H on Twitter (Arabic)
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|