|Born||10 September 1912|
|Died||20 July 1959(aged 46)|
|Place of birth||Grottkau|
|Place of death||Gelsenkirchen|
|Years of service||
|Rank||Oberstleutnant der Reserve|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Hans-Georg Herzog (10 September 1912 – 20 July 1959) was a highly decorated Oberstleutnant der Reserve in the Wehrmacht during World War II who commanded the 5th Panzer Division. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Hans-Georg Herzog was captured by Soviet forces in 1945, near Danzig during the East Prussian Offensive. He was held as a POW until 1955.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (14 June 1940)
- 1st Class (29 April 1941)
- Honour Roll Clasp of the Army (27 September 1943)
- Eastern Front Medal
- German Cross in Gold (30 July 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 186.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 83.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|