|Type||Precision-guided glide bomb|
|Place of origin||Pakistan|
|In service||2003 |
|Used by||Pakistan Air Force|
|Electro-optical (TV or infra-red imaging)|
The H-2 SOW (Stand-Off Weapon) is a precision-guided glide bomb manufactured by Pakistan and deployed by the Pakistan Air Force, capable of striking targets at stand-off range. It has a terminal guidance system based on an infra-red imaging seeker which identifies the target during the final stage of flight. Designed to hit targets out to 60 km, the bomb may be able to evade radar.
According to a Pakistani source, the H-2 is a lighter version of the H-4 SOW. The H-4 is reported by the Pakistani press to have been created by Pakistan's National Engineering and Scientific Commission (NESCOM), working in collaboration with the Pakistan Missile Organisation and Air Weapons Complex in Pakistan, by modifying the design of the South African Denel T-Darter beyond visual range (BVR) air-to-air missile.
However, H-2's stated range of 60 km and its glide bomb design has led to speculation that it may be a copy or a Pakistani variant of the Denel Raptor I glide bomb, which is also guided by an infra-red imaging seeker and has a range of 60 km.
The H-2 is stated to have entered service with the Pakistan Air Force in 2003.
A television-guided version of the H-2 was launched at a mock target from a distance of 60 km by Mirage III/5 fighters of the Pakistan Air Force during a firepower demonstration on 6 April 2010, marking the first phase of the Pakistan Air Force exercise High Mark 2010.
- "PAF adds new bombs to its arsenal". 18 December 2003. http://dawn.com/news/130099/paf-adds-new-bombs-to-its-arsenal. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- Fisher, Jr., Richard (29 October 2004). "Report On the International Defense Exhibition and Seminar (IDEAS)". International Assessment and Strategy Center (IASC). http://www.strategycenter.net/research/pubID.48/pub_detail.asp. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "PAF’s High Mark exercise enters second phase". 7 April 2010. http://pakistantimes.net/pt/detail.php?newsId=10060. Retrieved 7 April 2010.
- Anis, Muhammad (7 April 2010). "PAF flexes its muscles". http://thenews.jang.com.pk/top_story_detail.asp?Id=28202. Retrieved 7 April 2010. [dead link]
- "PAF’s firepower demo marks precise hit at enemy targets". Associated Press of Pakistan. 6 April 2010. http://www.app.com.pk/en_/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=99996&Itemid=38. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- Khan, Iftikhar A. (7 April 2010). "PAF displays awesome firepower, aerobatics". http://archives.dawn.com/archives/36972. Retrieved 7 April 2010.
- Dawn - a Pakistani newspaper article on H-4
- The Times of India - an Indian newspaper article on H-4
- The Tribune - an Indian news article on H-4
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|