He was born April 8, 1834 in Gallatin, Tennessee. He attended the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Alabama for two years and transferred to Cumberland University in Lebanon, Tennessee, where he graduated as a valedictorian. He was a member of the Beta Theta Pi fraternity.
He was married on March 5, 1861 to Georgia Thompson. They had five children, including George M., Maria (Westbrook), Jo Conn and William. He died in Virginia on April 21, 1917. He is buried at Mount Olivet Cemetery in Nashville.
- Friends of Metropolitan Archives of Nashville and Davidson County, TN
- Nashville Library Archived October 16, 2013 at the Wayback Machine
- William Waller, Nashville in the 1890s, Nashville, Tennessee: Vanderbilt University Press, 1970, p. 83 
- The Beta Theta Pi, Volume 23, 1895
- The Journal of East Tennessee History, issue 76, 2005, p. 113
|Mayor of Nashville, Tennessee
William Marshall McCarthey
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|