|Fritz Gustav Backhauss|
|Born||February 9, 1915|
|Died||7 March 1971(aged 56)|
|Place of birth||Halberstadt|
|Place of death||Koblenz|
Nazi Germany (to 1945)|
|Years of service||
|Commands held||III./Gebirgsjäger-Regiment 13|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Fritz Gustav Backhauss (9 February 1915 – 7 March 1971) was a highly decorated Major in the Wehrmacht during World War II and an Oberstleutnant in the Bundeswehr. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Fritz Backhauss was captured by American troops in May 1945 and was released in June 1945. In 1956 he joined the postwar Bundeswehr serving until his death on 7 March 1971 in a military hospital in Koblenz.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (20 May 1940)
- 1st Class (7 June 1940)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black (6 June 1940)
- in Silver (19 April 1943)
- Infantry Assault Badge (25 August 1940)
- Eastern Front Medal (1 August 1942)
- Close Combat Clasp
- in Bronze (1 September 1943)
- German Cross in Gold (8 December 1943)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 8 February 1944 as Hauptmann and commander of III./Gebirgsjäger-Regiment 13 
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 102.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.