|Friedrich Karl Ludwig|
|Friedrich Karl Ludwig by Johann Friedrich August Tischbein, ca. 1800|
|Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck|
|Preceded by||Peter August|
|Succeeded by||Friedrich Wilhelm|
|Born||20 August 1757|
|Died||24 April 1816 (aged 58)|
|Spouse(s)||Countess Friederike of Schlieben|
Friedrich Karl Ludwig of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck (20 August 1757 – 24 April 1816) was the fifth and penultimate Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck. Friedrich Karl Ludwig was the son of Prince Karl Anton August of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck and his wife Countess Charlotte of Dohna-Schlodien.
Friedrich Karl Ludwig was born in Königsberg, East Prussia. He joined the Prussian Army in 1777 upon the request of King Frederick the Great. By 1781 he was a staff officer in the Regiment von Schlieben and by 1787 he commanded a grenadier battalion based in Königsberg. He assisted in the suppression of the 1794 Kościuszko Uprising and was Governor of Kraków in 1795. He retired from Prussian service as a lieutenant general in 1797 and spent the rest of his life improving agriculture in Holstein. He died in Wellingsbüttel Manor, now part of Hamburg.
Marriage and issue
Friedrich married Countess Friederike of Schlieben (28 February 1757 – 17 December 1827) on 9 March 1780 in Königsberg. At the time, the marriage was not looked upon favorably because the Schlieben family was not an ancient noble family. Friedrich and Friederike had three children:
- Princess Friederike of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck (13 December 1780 – 19 January 1862)
- Princess Luise of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck (28 September 1783 – 24 November 1803)
- Friedrich Wilhelm, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (4 January 1785 – 27 February 1831)
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 20 August 1757 – 12 September 1759: His Serene Highness Prince Friedrich Karl Ludwig of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck
- 12 September 1759 – 24 February 1775: His Serene Highness The Hereditary Prince of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck
- 24 February 1775 – 24 April 1816: His Serene Highness The Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck
|Ancestors of Friedrich Karl Ludwig, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck|
He is the agnatic ancestor to the current monarchs/pretenders to the thrones of Denmark, Norway and Greece. This list will eventually include the British royal family as Friedrich is the male-line ancestor of The Prince of Wales and The Duke of Cambridge.
- Darryl Lundy (1 May 2005). "Friedrich Karl Herzog von Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck". thePeerage.com. http://thepeerage.com/p10933.htm#i109321. Retrieved 2008-09-02.
- Paul Theroff. "SCHLESWIG-HOLSTEIN". Paul Theroff's Royal Genealogy Site. http://www.angelfire.com/realm/gotha/gotha/holstein.html. Retrieved 2008-09-02.
- Albinus, Robert (1985). Lexikon der Stadt Königsberg Pr. und Umgebung. Leer: Verlag Gerhard Rautenberg. pp. 371. ISBN 3-7921-0320-6. (German)
- Der Elephanten-Orden und seine Ritter. Von Johann Heinrich Friedrich Berlien
Friedrich Karl Ludwig, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck
House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck
Cadet branch of the House of OldenburgBorn: 20 August 1757 Died: 24 April 1816
|Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck
24 February 1775–25 March 1816
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|