|French ship Tonnerre (L9014)|
|Builder:||Arsenal de Brest, Chantiers de Saint-Nazaire|
26 August 2003 (aft part in Brest)
|Launched:||26 July 2005|
|Class & type:||Mistral-class amphibious assault ship|
16,500 t (empty)
Motorisation : 2 Mermaïd electric motors (2 × 7 MW)|
2 5-bladed propellers
Electrical plant: 4 Wärtsilä diesels-alternators 16 V32 (6,2 MW) + 1 Wärtsilä Vasaa auxiliary diesel-alternator 18V200 (3 MW)
10,800 km at 18 knots|
19,800 km at 15 knots
|Capacity:||2 barges, one Leclerc battalion, 70 vehicles|
|Complement:||20 officers, 80 petty officers, 60 Quarter-masters, 450 passengers (900 for a short cruise), 150 men for an on-board headquarter|
|Armament:||12.7 mm M2-HB Browning machine guns|
|Aircraft carried:||16 heavy or 35 light helicopters|
The Tonnerre was launched on 26 July 2005 and joined active service in December 2006.
Tonnerre’s maiden voyage occurred between 10 April and 24 July 2007. During this voyage, Tonnerre was involved in Opération Licorne, the French co-deploying complement to the United Nations Operation in Côte d'Ivoire following the Ivorian Civil War. Gazelle and Cougar helicopters of the French Air Force operated from the ship during 9 July.
At the start of 2008, Tonnerre was involved in the Corymbe 92 mission (see Standing French Navy Deployments), a humanitarian mission in the Gulf of Guinea. During this deployment, Tonnerre acted on tip-offs from the European Maritime Analysis Operation Centre – Narcotics, and intercepted 5.7 tonnes of smuggled cocaine: 2.5 tonnes from a fishing vessel 520 kilometres (280 nmi) from Monrovia on 29 January, and 3.2 tonnes from a cargo ship 300 kilometres (160 nmi) off Conakry.
In May 2011, the French Military deployed Eurocopter Tiger and Aérospatiale Gazelle helicopters on the ship to augment forces engaged in Opération Harmattan and later Operation Unified Protector during the Libyan civil war. along with allied ships such as the British helicopter carrier HMS Ocean which also provided its own attack helicopters.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tonnerre (L9014).|
- "Mistral Class; http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/mistral/"
- "French navy in big cocaine seizure off West Africa". 1 February 2008. http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/248016/French-navy-in-big-cocaine-seizure-off-West-Africa. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "Libya unrest: UK and France 'to send helicopters'". BBC News. 23 May 2011. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13510395.
- "NATO Uses Attack Helicopters for First Time in Libya". Fox News. 4 June 2011. http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/06/04/nato-uses-attack-helicopters-for-first-time-in-libya/?test=latestnews.
- BPC Tonnerre Force Projection and Command Ship Tonnerre on Alabordache
- BPC Tonnerre Force Projection and Command Ship Tonnerre
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|