After the end of Operation Desert Storm/Shield, the US Army inactivated many units. The units fighting the War on Terrorism are the survivors of the "Peace Dividend". While additional fighting brigades are being created, no additional deployable higher headquarters units are planned. This list is not comprehensive as it only includes active-duty formations under the divisional structure. There are many Reserve, National Guard, and support units not included or referenced here.
- First United States Army - U.S. Army Training, Readiness, and Mobilization Command
- Third United States Army - CENTCOM commands forces in Iraq & Afghanistan
- Fifth United States Army - United States Army North
- Sixth United States Army - United States Army South
- Seventh United States Army - United States Army Europe
- Eighth United States Army - United States Army Korea
- 1st Infantry Division "The Big Red One"
- 1st Cavalry Division "The First Team"
- 1st Armored Division "Old Ironsides"
- 2nd Infantry Division "Indian Head Division"
- 3rd Infantry Division "Rock of the Marne"
- 4th Infantry Division "Ivy Division", "Iron Horse"
- 10th Mountain Division "Climb to Glory"
- 25th Infantry Division "Tropic Lightning"
- 82nd Airborne Division "All American"
- 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) "Screaming Eagles"
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|