|Born||8 October 1907|
|Died||30 June 1942(aged 34)|
|Place of birth||Güstrow, Mecklenburg|
|Place of death||Atlantic Ocean|
|Years of service||1933–1942|
Minensuchboot M 98, M 21|
(25 September 1941–30 June 1942)
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Erwin Rostin (8 October 1907 in Güstrow – killed in action 1 July 1942 in Atlantic Ocean) was a German U-boat commander in World War II and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. He is numbered thirty-one in the list of U-Boat aces of World War II.
Rostin joined the German Navy in 1933 and served eight years on minesweepers. He was transferred to submarine training in 1941. Rostin sailed for his first combat patrol as commander of U-158 on 7 February 1942, sinking five ships (38,785 tons), including the SS Empire Celt, and damaging two (15,264 tons) of the east coast of the United States His second and last patrol (4 May–30 June 1942), took him into the Gulf of Mexico where U-158 sank 12 ships (62,536 tons), one of the most successful patrols in the Kriegsmarine. However it ended with the sinking of U-158 by a United States Navy PBM Mariner bomber, with all hands lost, at . In five months Rostin sank 17 ships for a total of 101,321 GRT, and damaged two others for a total of 15,264 GRT.
Summary of career
Erwin Rostin as commander of U-158 sank 17 merchant ships totalling 101,321 gross register tons (GRT), and damaged another two of 15,264 GRT.
|24 February 1942||Diloma||United Kingdom||8,146||Damaged|
|24 February 1942||Empire Celt||United Kingdom||8,032||Sunk|
|2 March 1942||Finnager||United Kingdom||9,551||Sunk|
|11 March 1942||Caribesa||United Kingdom||2,609||Sunk|
|13 March 1942||John D. Gill||USA||11,641||Sunk|
|15 March 1942||Ario||USA||6,952||Sunk|
|15 March 1942||Olean||USA||7,118||Damaged|
|25 May 1942||Darina||United Kingdom||8,113||Sunk|
|22 May 1942||Frank D. Baird||Canada||1,748||Sunk|
|2 June 1942||Knoxville City||USA||5,686||Sunk|
|4 June 1942||Nidarnes||Norway||2,647||Sunk|
|5 June 1942||Velma Lykes||USA||2,572||Sunk|
|7 June 1942||Hermis||Panama||5,234||Sunk|
|11 June 1942||Scheheradze||Panama||13,467||Sunk|
|12 June 1942||Cities Service Toledo||USA||8,192||Sunk|
|17 June 1942||Moira||Norway||1,560||Sunk|
|17 June 1942||San Blas||Panama||3,601||Sunk|
|23 June 1942||Major General Henry Gibbins||USA||5,766||Sunk|
|23 June 1942||Everalda||Latvia||3,950||Sunk|
- Iron Cross (1939)
- Sudetenland Medal (20 December 1939)
- Minesweeper, Submarine Hunter and Security Forces War Badge (3 January 1941)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 28 June 1942 as Kapitänleutnant and commander of U-158
- U-boat War Badge (1939) posthumously on 1 July 1942
- Mentioned twice in the Wehrmachtbericht (18 March 1942 and 25 June 1942)
- "Patrol of U-158 from 7 Feb 1942 to 31 Mar 1942". uboat.net. http://uboat.net/boats/patrols/patrol_3970.html. Retrieved 20 April 2010.
- "Patrol of U-158 from 4 May 1942 to 30 Jun 1942". uboat.net. http://uboat.net/boats/patrols/patrol_3971.html. Retrieved 20 April 2010.
- "The Type IXC boat U-158". uboat.net. http://uboat.net/boats/u158.htm. Retrieved 20 April 2010.
- Busch and Röll 2003, p. 229.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 640.
- Busch and Röll 2003, p. 230.
- Busch, Hans-Joachim; Röll (2003) (in German). Der U-Boot-Krieg 1939–1945 — Die Ritterkreuzträger der U-Boot-Waffe von September 1939 bis Mai 1945 [The U-Boat War 1939–1945 — The Knight's Cross Bearers of the U-Boat Force from September 1939 to May 1945]. Hamburg, Berlin, Bonn Germany: Verlag E.S. Mittler & Sohn. ISBN 978-3-8132-0515-2.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) (in German). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches]. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Kurowski, Franz (1995). Knight's Cross Holders of the U-Boat Service. Atglen, PA: Schiffer Publishing. ISBN 978-0-88740-748-2.
- Range, Clemens (1974). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Kriegsmarine [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the Navy]. Stuttgart, Germany: Motorbuch Verlag. ISBN 978-3-87943-355-1.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007) (in German). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives]. Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|