|Born||11 June 1535|
|Died||26 March 1620(aged 81)|
|Title||Cardinal-Priest of San Pietro in Montorio|
Domenico Toschi (June 11, 1535 – March 26, 1620) was an Italian soldier, jurist, and cardinal of the Catholic Church.
He was born in Castellarano in Reggio Emilia to a poor family. After having originally served as a soldier, Toschi became a noted canon lawyer. He wrote the multi-volume legal treatise Practicarum conclusionum iuris in omni foro frequentiorum. He served as Vice-Legate in Bologna and was its Governor (1585-1588), and then as a Councillor in Tuscany (1588-1592).
He was Bishop of Tivoli from 1595 to 1606. He was created Cardinal-Priest of San Pietro in Montorio on 3 March 1599 by Pope Clement VIII as a reward for successfully governing Rome while Clement was in Ferrara.
He participated in the Papal conclaves of March and May 1605. Toschi was a candidate for the papacy in the May 1605 papal conclave, and was almost acclaimed pope, but Caesar Baronius intervened, objecting that Toschi was unfit for the papacy because his language and dress would cause scandal. Following Baronious' intervention, a scrutiny was taken, and Toschi fell short of election to the papacy by two votes.
He transferred his titular church to Sant'Onofrio in 1604, returning to San Pietro in Montorio in 1610. He resigned as Bishop of Tivoli in 1606, and was replaced by his nephew, Giovanni Battista Toschi. He served as Camerlengo of the Sacred College of Cardinals in 1616-17. He died in Rome.
- Baumgartner, Frederic J. (2003). Behind Locked Doors. Palgrave Macmillan. pp. 141. ISBN 0-312-29463-8. https://archive.org/details/behindlockeddoor00fred/page/141.
- "Domenico Tuschi". http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=au%3ATuschi%2C+Domenico%2C&dblist=638&fq=ap%3A. Retrieved 22 May 2017.
- "Domenico Cardinal Toschi". http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/bishop/btoschi.html. Retrieved 22 May 2017.
- Freiherr von Pastor, Ludwing (1933). Kerr, Ralph Francis. ed. The History of the Popes. XXIII. B. Herder Book Co.. p. 291.
- Govoni, Raffaella (2009) (in Italian). Il Cardinale Domenico Toschi da Castellarano a Roma, 1535-1620. Reggio Emilia: Diabasis. OCLC 754673754.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|