|Dizengoff Center suicide bombing|
March 4, 1996|
approximately 4:00 pm (GMT+2)
|Deaths||13 Israelis (12 civilians, 1 soldier) + 1 bomber|
The Dizengoff Center suicide bombing was a Hamas terrorist attack on March 4, 1996 on the eve of the Jewish holiday of Purim. The suicide bomber blew himself up outside Dizengoff Center in downtown Tel Aviv, killing 13 Israelis (12 civilians and one soldier) and wounding 130 more. The attack was the fourth suicide bombing in Israel in nine days, bringing the death toll during that span to over 60.
The suicide bomber detonated just before 4 pm (GMT+2) outside the Dizengoff Center, the largest shopping mall in Tel Aviv. That day the center was particularly crowded for the eve of Purim. Many in the crowd were children dressed in costume for the holiday. The bomber sought to enter the mall but turned back because of the police presence. Instead, he went into the busy intersection where a large number of pedestrians were crossing the street and set off his 20-kilogram nail bomb. Following the attack, a phone call to an Israeli radio station apparently from a Hamas representative identified the attacker as Abdel-Rahim Ishaq, a 24 year old resident of Ramallah.
- "Suicide and Other Bombing Attacks in Israel Since the Declaration of Principles (Sept 1993)". Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs. http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Terrorism-%20Obstacle%20to%20Peace/Palestinian%20terror%20since%202000/Suicide%20and%20Other%20Bombing%20Attacks%20in%20Israel%20Since. Retrieved 20 May 2010.
- Serge Schmemann (5 March 2010). "Bombing in Israel:The Overiew;4th Terror Blast in Israel Kills 14 at Mall in Tel Aviv; Nine-Day Toll Grows to 61". http://www.nytimes.com/1996/03/05/world/bombing-israel-overview-4th-terror-blast-israel-kills-14-mall-tel-aviv-nine-day.html?scp=1&sq=dizengoff%20center%20suicide&st=cse&pagewanted=print.
- "Fatal Terrorist Attacks in Israel Since the DOP (Sept 1993)". Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 24 September 2000. http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Terrorism-+Obstacle+to+Peace/Palestinian+terror+before+2000/Fatal+Terrorist+Attacks+in+Israel+Since+the+DOP+-S.htm. Retrieved 20 May 2010.
- The Guardian. Tel Aviv bus bombing hardens Israeli public opinion against Gaza ceasefire. November 21, 2012.
- "Good-Bye Tali and Inbar". Tel Aviv University News. Inbar Fund. Spring 1996. http://www.keren-inbar.org.il/INB/Front/Document.asp?ID=22406&ENGLISH=true. Retrieved 20 May 2010.
- The Bat-Chen Diaries
- Patches, a memorial film
- The Dizengoff Memorial Quilt Project at the Wayback Machine (archived October 27, 2009)
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|