|Minister of State for Equality, Immigration and Integration|
|Assumed office |
19 May 2016
|Preceded by||New office|
|Assumed office |
|Born||15 February 1957 (age 65)|
Midleton, County Cork, Ireland
|Political party||Fine Gael|
|Spouse(s)||Mary Lehane (m. 1990)|
|Alma mater||University College Cork|
|Years of service||1980–96|
David Stanton (born 15 February 1957) is an Irish Fine Gael politician who has served as Minister of State for Equality, Immigration and Integration since May 2016. He has been a Teachta Dála (TD) for the Cork East constituency since 1997.
Stanton was born in County Cork. He was educated at St. Colman's Vocational School, Midleton; Sharman Crawford Technical Institute, Cork and University College Cork where he received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Sociology and Mathematics. Before entering politics, he was a woodwork and technical drawing teacher and a career guidance counsellor in St. Colman's Community College in Midleton. Stanton served in the Reserve Defence Forces (RDF) as an officer in the Army Reserve. He is married to Mary Lehane and they have four sons.
Stanton was first elected to Dáil Éireann at the 1997 general election and has been re-elected at every general election since. He was party Spokesperson on Social and Family Affairs, and Equality from 2004 to 2007. Prior to this he acted as Deputy Spokesperson on Education and Science, and Spokesperson on Labour Affairs, Consumer Rights and Trade from 1997 to 2002. From 2007 to 2010, he was party Assistant Chief Whip (Dáil Reform) with special responsibility for Disability Issues. In July 2010, he was appointed Spokesperson on Defence.
On 19 May 2016, Stanton was appointed Minister of State for Justice with special responsibility for Equality, Immigration, and Integration.
- "David Stanton". Oireachtas Members Database. https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/members/member/David-Stanton.D.1997-06-26/.
- O'Halloran, Marie (28 February 2016). "Profile: David Stanton (FG)". The Irish Times. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/profile-david-stanton-fg-1.2552373. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "David Stanton". ElectionsIreland.org. http://www.electionsireland.org/candidate.cfm?ID=4235.
- "Bruton & Noonan return to Fine Gael frontbench". RTÉ News. 1 July 2010. Archived from the original on 4 July 2010. https://web.archive.org/web/20100704030628/http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0701/finegael.html.
- "List of Ministers and Ministers of State". Dept. of the Taoiseach. http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/eng/Taoiseach_and_Government/List_of_Ministers_Ministers_of_State/.
|Fine Gael Teachta Dála for Cork East
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|