| This biographical article.
Needs additional citations for verification.
December 19, 1946|
Long Beach, California
Craig Lee Symonds (born 31 December 1946, in Long Beach, California) is a retired professor and chairman of the history department at the United States Naval Academy. He is a distinguished historian of the American Civil War.
Early life and education
The son of Lee and Virginia Symonds, Craig Symonds attended the University of California, Los Angeles, where he earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1967. Going on to graduate work, he obtained his Master of Arts in history at the University of Florida in 1969 with a thesis on "The defense of the southwestern frontier, 1784-1794: a study in governmental relations." He married Marylou Hayden on 17 January 1969 and the couple had one son. In 1971, Symonds joined the United States Naval Reserve, serving for three years until 1974 and raising to the grade of Lieutenant. While in the Navy, he served on the staff and faculty of the Naval War College. On his release from active duty, he returned to his graduate studies in history at the University of Florida, where he obtained his Ph.D. in 1976 under the tutelage of Professor John K. Mahon with a dissertation on "Navalists and antinavalists: the naval policy debate in the United States, 1785-1827."
In 1976, the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland appointed Symonds assistant professor of history to succeed Professor E. B. Potter as a specialist in Naval history. He was subsequently promoted to associate professor in 1980 and professor of history in 1985. He served as chairman of the history department in 1988-1992 and appointed professor emeritus on his retirement in 2005. In 1994–1995, he was visiting lecturer at Britannia Royal Naval College in Dartmouth, England. He returned to teach at the Naval Academy as The Class of 1957 Distinguished Professor of American Naval Heritage for 2011–12.
- The Abraham Lincoln Book Award, 2010
- The Lincoln Prize, 2009 (co-winner with James M. McPherson) for Lincoln and His Admirals.
- The Barondess Prize, 2009
- The Daniel and Marilyn Laney Prize, 2009
- The Nevins-Freeman Prize, 2009
- The Theodore and Franklin D. Roosevelt Prize in Naval History, 2006
- Anne Arundel County Award for Literary Arts, 2006
- John Lyman Book Awards, 1995, 1999, 2009
- USNA Research Excellence Award, 1998
- USNA Teaching Excellence Award, 1988
- Navy Superior Civilian Service Award, 1994, 1998, 2005
- Navy Meritorious Civilian Service Award, 1989
- History Book Club Author, 1983, 1986, 1992, 1997, 2001, 2005, 2010
- Military Book Club Author, 1983, 1992, 1997, 2001, 2005
- Book-of-the-Month Club Author, 1983, 1986, 1992, 2001, 2005
- Charleston Blockade: The Journals of John B. Marchand, USN, edited by Craig Symonds. (Newport, RI: Naval War College Press, 1976.
- Navalists and Antinavalists: The Naval Policy Debate in the United States, 1785-1827. (University of Delaware Press, 1980).
- New Aspects of Naval History, edited by Craig Symonds. (Annaplis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1981).
- A Battlefield Atlas of the Civil War. (Annapolis, MD: Nautical and Aviation Press, 1983). ISBN 9780933852495
- William H. Parker (1985). Craig Symonds. ed. Recollections of a Naval Officer, 1841-1865. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press. ISBN 978-0-87021-533-9. http://books.google.com/books?id=R4odz6mD0qUC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Craig+Symonds&as_brr=3&ei=sRX4SoL6HY6MNqTVrKAI#v=onepage&q=&f=false.
- A Battlefield Atlas of the American Revolution. (Annapolis, MD: Nautical and Aviation Press, 1986).
- Alvah F. Hunter (1987). Craig Symonds. ed. A Year on a Monitor. Columbia, SC: University of South Carolina Press. ISBN 978-0-87249-761-0. http://books.google.com/books?id=pFBz64hxS74C&printsec=frontcover&dq=Craig+Symonds&ei=-BP4Sv-KCpa6M9CDyOQI#v=onepage&q=&f=false. (reprint 1991)
- Joseph E. Johnston: A Civil War Biography. New York: Norton. 1992. ISBN 978-0-393-31130-3. http://books.google.com/books?id=ykSEvcmi4owC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Craig+Symonds&as_brr=3&ei=sRX4SoL6HY6MNqTVrKAI#v=onepage&q=&f=false.
- Gettysburg: A Battlefield Atlas, by Craig Symonds with William J. Clipson. (Annapolis, MD: Nautical and Aviation, 1992).
- The Naval Institute Historical Atlas of the U.S. Navy. Illustrator William J. Clipson. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press. 1995. ISBN 978-1-55750-984-0. http://books.google.com/books?id=q_HIcc8n3K4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=Craig+Symonds&ei=-BP4Sv-KCpa6M9CDyOQI#v=onepage&q=&f=false.
- Stonewall of the West: Patrick Cleburne and the Civil War. (Lawrence, KS: University Press of Kansas, 1997).
- Confederate Admiral: The Life and Wars of Franklin Buchanan. (Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1999). ISBN 9781591148463
- American Heritage History of the Battle of Gettysburg. New York: HarperCollins. 2001. ISBN 978-0-06-054933-6. http://books.google.com/books?id=P0-_stFws60C&printsec=frontcover&dq=Craig+Symonds&ei=-BP4Sv-KCpa6M9CDyOQI#v=onepage&q=&f=false.
- New Interpretations in Naval History: Selected Papers from the Fourteenth Naval History Symposium, Held at Annapolis, Maryland, 23–25 September 1999, Naval Institute Press (Annapolis, MD), 2001.
- Decision at Sea: Five Naval Battles That Shaped American History. New York: Oxford University Press. 2005. ISBN 978-0-19-531211-9. http://books.google.com/books?id=3Te8UfCpV7MC&pg=PP1&dq=Craig+Symonds&as_brr=3&ei=sRX4SoL6HY6MNqTVrKAI#v=onepage&q=&f=false.
- Lincoln and his Admirals. New York: Oxford University Press. 2008. ISBN 978-0-19-531022-1. http://books.google.com/books?id=cnq4UO9YD5IC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Craig+Symonds&as_brr=3&ei=sRX4SoL6HY6MNqTVrKAI#v=onepage&q=&f=false.
- The Battle of Midway. New York: Oxford University Press. 2011. ISBN 978-0-19-539793-2. http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Battle_of_Midway.html?id=goIo0gCHiE4C.
- The Civil War at Sea. New York: Oxford University Press. 2012. ISBN 0199931682. http://books.google.com/books?id=qpIYke2ZehIC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Symonds+civil+war+at+sea&hl=en&sa=X&ei=fJOuUemvFMfi4APf04GYBg&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA.
- "Craig L. Symonds", Contemporary Authors Online, Gale, 2009. Farmington Hills, Mich.: Gale, 2009.
- University of Florida Library
- United States Naval Academy Library
- Webcast Interview on The Battle of Midway at the Pritzker Military Library on October 7, 2011
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|