Conrad Schmidt (born 1969) is a social activist, filmmaker and writer living in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada who is best known for his role in founding the Work Less Party of British Columbia and for creating the internationally known World Naked Bike Ride protest.
Schmidt was born and raised in South Africa and moved to Vancouver, British Columbia, in 1998 where he presently resides.
In 2003, Schmidt organised a protest in which 50 demonstrators from Artists Against War formed a peace sign with their naked bodies to protest against possible US action in Iraq. Schmidt created the international clothing-optional World Naked Bike Ride (WNBR) in 2004. In 2003 Schmidt was a coordinator for the Work Less Party of British Columbia, a political party which advocates a 32-hour work week and reduced consumerism.
Schmidt is the author of Workers of the World Relax: The Simple Economics of Less Industrial Work. and Efficiency Shifting, as well as the director of the documentary, Five Ring Circus.
- Canadian federal election, 2008
- Work Less Party
- Work Less Party of British Columbia
- World Naked Bike Ride
- Associated Press (2005-02-23). "Demonstrators take it all off". The Spokesman-Review. pp. B3. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=jhoSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=s_IDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2770,3809411. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- Meyer, Jim (Autumn 2005). "World Naked Bike Ride". The Naturist Society. http://www.naturistsociety.com/magazine/detail.jsp?id=41. Retrieved 2009-05-27.
- Walker, Ian (2007-07-27). "Buck-naked on a bike, all for a great cause". The Vancouver Sun. http://www2.canada.com/vancouversun/news/sports/story.html?id=aadad23b-fc80-4f19-8396-eb8f28b7deac. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- Burrows, Matthew. "Work Less goes to "Church"". The Georgia Straight. Vancouver Free Press. http://www.straight.com/article/work-less-goes-to-church. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- Burrows, Matthew (2006-05-11). "Work Less founder unveils book". The Georgia Straight. Vancouver Free Press. http://www.straight.com/article/work-less-founder-unveils-book-0. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- Work Less Party Web site Web site includes films and clips, some including Schmidt.
- World Naked Bike Ride Web site & Wiki site
- Artists For Peace and Artists Against War activism Web site This is an archive of the old site, which is presently hosted on the Work Less Party Web site.
- Work Less Party of Victoria
- You Never Bike Alone Documentary includes interview and footage from first WNBR.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|