|Role||Anti-submarine warfare (ASW), AEW and Medium transport / Utility helicopter|
|Manufacturer||Avicopter (Changhe Aircraft Industries Corporation)|
|Primary user||People's Liberation Army|
|Developed from||Avicopter AC313|
The Changhe Z-18 is a medium transport helicopter developed by Changhe Aircraft Industries Corporation (CAIC) to replace the Z-8.
Design and development
The Z-18 is a single-rotor helicopter with tail rotor and a non-retractable landing gear, thought to be based on the Avicopter AC313, an updated design based on the earlier Harbin Z-8. A naval version of the Z-18 was first revealed onboard Chinese aircraft carrier Liaoning. In 2014, the army version of Z-18 was revealed in Chinese army publications. It features a redesigned lower fuselage, with power provided by three improved WZ-6C turboshaft engines and has a MTOW of 13.8 tonnes. It can carry 27 passengers or a payload of 5 tons.
The Z-18 uses composite materials for the rotor blade and titanium main rotor. It is equipped with a modern integrated digital avionics system and advanced electronic flight instrument landing system. Variants of the Z-18 have been developed for performing VIP transport, search and rescue, ASW and AEW operations
- Z-18: Based on the Avicopter AC313 design, it features a modified lowered fuselage and an improved WZ-6C turboshaft. A nose-mounted weather radar as well as FLIR and TV turrets were installed. Additional communication and navigation antennae are also added.
- Z-18J: New AEW variant with a multimode active electronically scanned array radar from the 38th Institute.
- Z-18F: A recent anti submarine version with surface radar, dipping sonar, hardpoints intended for torpedoes/missiles, and sonobuoys.
- Z-18A: Army version with a terrain following radar and EO turret.
- "Z-18 Helicopter, China". AirForceWorld.com. http://www.airforceworld.com/blog/z18-helicopter-china-army. Retrieved 29 Dec 2014.
- Andrew Tate (August 20, 2014). "China unveils ASW version of Z-18 helicopter". http://web.archive.org/web/20140822111143/http://www.janes.com/article/42184/china-unveils-asw-version-of-z-18-helicopter.
- "Chinese Z-18 Helicopter". http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/china/z-18.htm. Retrieved August 14, 2017.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|