Entrance to Battlesbury Barracks.jpg|
Entrance to Battlesbury Barracks
|Ministry of Defence|
|Occupants||Royal Dragoon Guards|
In December 2004, as part of the re-organisation of the infantry, it was announced that the Duke of Wellington's Regiment would be amalgamated with the Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire and the Green Howards, all Yorkshire-based regiments in the King's Division, to form the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Battalion of the new Yorkshire Regiment. The re-badging parade took place on 6 June 2006 and the 'Dukes' formally became the 3rd Battalion Yorkshire Regiment (Duke of Wellington's).
In 2009, the extent of the site was 29 hectares (72 acres).
In 2013, under the Army 2020 changes, the Green Howards Battalion (2nd) in Cyprus was to be disbanded. The soldiers were merged into the 1st (PWO), Battalion in Germany and the 3rd (DWR) Battalion on 25 July 2013. The 3rd Battalion was then renumbered as the new 1st Battalion (1 Yorks), whilst the PWO Battalion took over the Colours of the 2nd Battalion (Green Howards) and renumbered as the new 2nd Battalion (2 Yorks).
In November 2020, as part of the broader Defence level rebasing plan, 1 Yorks moved to Catterick Garrison conducting a straight swap with the Royal Dragoon Guards who moved to Battlesbury Barracks.
The following units are currently based at the barracks:
Defence Equipment & Support
- Joint Asset Management and Engineering Solutions (JAMES) Delivery Team
- Waterloo Lines – nearby army headquarters and training schools
- "Welch Regiment". British Army units 1945 on. Archived from the original on 17 December 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/20141217185148/http://british-army-units1945on.co.uk/infantry/welch-regiment.html. Retrieved 22 November 2014.
- DWR Regimental Journal: The Iron Duke, issue 257, Page 122, '1st Battalion Headquarters', Winter 2005
- "The Yorkshire Regiment". Ministry of Defence. http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regiments/23987.aspx. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- "Defence Estate Development Plan 2009: Estate Baseline". Ministry of Defence. 3 July 2009. p. 40. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/33240/DEDP09_annex_a.pdf.
- "3 YORKS becomes 1 YORKS". Ministry of Defence. 26 July 2013. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/3-yorks-becomes-1-yorks. Retrieved 22 November 2014.
- "Duke of Wellington's Regimental Association website". DWR Website News page. Archived from the original on 29 November 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/20141129054052/http://www.dwr.org.uk/news.php?id=2&nw=256. Retrieved 23 November 2014.
- "Pictures: Prince Charles visits Royal Dragoon Guards at Catterick Garrison". Northern Echo. 12 October 2020. https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/18789108.pictures-prince-charles-visits-royal-dragoon-guards-catterick-garrison/.
- "desider: issue 102, December 2016 - Gov.uk". p. 33. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/585702/desider_102-Dec2016.pdf. Retrieved 25 February 2021.