|2012 Eurosatory BMC trucks.JPG|
BMC Kirpi MRAP in Eurosatory 2012
|Type||Infantry mobility vehicle|
|Place of origin||Turkey|
|In service||Active (in service)|
|Wars||*2012 Syrian-Turkish border clashes|
|Variants||4x4 and 6x6|
|Length||6.0 m (short version)(4x4) and 7.075 m (long version)(4x4)|
|Width||2.51 m (4x4)|
|Armor||STANAG 4569 Level 3 (MRAP) a|
|7.62 or 12.7 mm machine guns|
|Engine||CUMMINS ISBE 275 or CUMMINS ISLE 350|
ISBE 275 : 271 PS at 2100 rpm and ISLE 350 345 PS at 2100 rpm
|Transmission||Allison 3000 type 3000SP|
|Ground clearance||345 mm|
|Fuel capacity||310 liter|
|1000 km at 60 km/h|
BMC Kirpi (Turkish for "Hedgehog") is a Turkish made Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle manufactured by BMC. Kirpi provides significant protection against mine and ballistic threats. It combines standard and add-on armor providing protection against ballistic threats while its V-shape underbody and monocoque allows it to protect the personnel inside from land mines and improvised explosive devices (IEDs).
BMC Kirpi is a heavy armored troop carrier and its primary objective is to transfer personnel from one place to another while protecting them against all kind of threats. However, it can receive different operational roles by being equipped with required mission equipment.
Based on the Israeli Hatehof Navigator.
Kirpi design process started in 2008, first prototype of Kirpi is produced in 2009. BMC has been awarded a tender by 614 units of MRAP vehicles by SSB – Presidency of Defence Industry in 2009. During the preliminary and critical design phases of this 614 Kirpi project, this prototype is further developed ant thus becoming Kirpi 1.
Turkish Land Forces have used Kirpi 1 intensively on its operations, and since Kirpi's are started to be operated, Turkish Land Forces’ casualties started to reduce significantly. After this initial success of Kirpi, its total sales number increased up to more than 1500, with more than 200 for export customers.
After Kirpi 1's 7 years of service, with the gained experience and feedback received from end users, Kirpi-2 has been introduced in 2018, while having several improvements compared to Kirpi 1. BMC is awarded another contract by SSB in 2018 by 529 units of Kirpi 2 MRAP vehicles. Independent suspension for more comfortable journey for the troops inside, improved air conditioning and engine cooling pack integration, composite add-on armor to lighten the vehicle thus allowing it to carry more payload and thus more mission equipment, particle/shrapnel holder spall liner installation upgrades have been applied to newer second generation of Kirpi-2.
BMC Kirpi has monocoque V-shaped body. Recovery and/or towing points are fitted front and rear, a NATO standard pintle being fitted at the rear. A front-mounted hydraulically operated self-recovery winch is standard.
V-shape monocoque body with composed add-on armor offers great resistant against mine and ballistic attacks in terms of NATO Stanag 4569. Protection levels are classified. In second generation of Kirpi, the Kirpi-2 has composite add-on armor and further increased mine protection.
Cabin can carry 13 personnel, driver, commander and gunner facing front, rest of 10 personnel is facing each other, 5 unit on one side, other 5 on another side, seating on the edge of side walls. Each personnel has mine protected seating, gun racks and gun ports to counter fire in times of need. There are two roof hatches, one on front, opens up inside the covered manuel turret, optionally manuel turret can be replaced with automatic weapon station, in this situation, front roof hatch opens up behind the weapon station, allowing to manually operate or reload. Second roof hatch is at the far end end of cabin. There is an hyroulic operated door at the back of the vehicle, 10 personnel can mount up or evacuate from this door. BMC Kirpi 4x4 is 18 tons when empty, has 2.000 kg payload with a gross vehicle weight of 20.000 kg
Motive power for the BMC Kirpi is provided by a EURO 3 emissions compliant Cummins diesel engine developing 375 hp (275 kW). An engine cold start kit is fitted and the cooling system has been adapted for tactical applications in between 32°C / +55°C temperatures.
Driveline is completed by an Allison 3000 six-speed fully automatic transmission coupled to an Axletech two-speed transfer box with selectable 4x2 or 4x4 drive. A longitudinal driver-controlled pneumatically operated differential lock is fitted. Both the front steer-drive axle and the rear drive axles are Axletech rated at 9,500 kg capacity and sprung by the combination of parabolic leaf springs, telescopic shock-absorbers, and an anti-roll bar. In second generation of Kirpi, the Kirpi-2 has fully independent suspension with coil springs, has same axle capacity. Both are fitted with driver-controlled pneumatically operated cross-axle differential locks. Steering is power assisted.
Single 14.00 R 20 tyres are standard, rims are 10x20”. CTIS is fitted. Disc brakes are fitted front and rear, supplemented by an engine exhaust brake. ABS is also standard.
Automatic fire suppression system inside personnel cabin an engine departments are standard while outside and tire suppression systems are optional.
BMC Kirpi is a troop carrier and mainly used to transport troops one place to another safely. It is also a multi-purpose platform that can be adapted for the desired role, needed by the end user. It can be utilized to serve different tactical purposes according to certain requirements. BMC Kirpi has 4x4 and 6x6 configurations. The vehicle is driven from all its available wheels which makes it suitable to perform its duty on any terrain.
4x4 Troop Carrier Standard troop carrier version is used to transport 13 personnel from one place to another with high safety, ignoring the climate and terrain hardships.
6x6 Troop Carrier 6x6 version of standard troop carrier. Can carry 15 personnel.
Combat Tactical Vehicle
When a standard troop carrier version is equipped with situational awareness & offensive weapon systems makes Kirpi a combat fighting vehicle.
Standard troop carrier version can be turned into a utility vehicle in order to carry cargo safely.
Ambulance version takes wounded soldiers from the heat of battle and safely escorts them to the back of front lines. Can carry two doctors with two inpatients or two doctors with one inpatient and two walking cases.
Mine Detection and Disposal Vehicle
Leads any military convoy, detects explosives buried underground, disrupts it with its robotic arm and disposes any mine threat.
The design contract was awarded in 2009, and deliveries commenced in 2014.
Its armored hull provides protection against armor-piercing rounds and artillery shell splinters. Some vehicles have been fitted with cage armor for protection against RPG rounds.
The Kirpi features shock absorber seats and interior accessories, a GPS system, rear view camera, and automatic fire suppression system. It has five firing ports and four bulletproof windows on each side of the troop compartment.
It has a shielded position for the gunner on top of the roof, which can be operated manually and can rotate through 360 degrees. The vehicle can be armed with a 7.62-mm or 12.7-mm machine gun and is also available with remotely-controlled weapons stations.
- Qatar 50 on order
- "Kirpi BMC 350 MRAP armoured vehicle personnel carrier data sheet specifications description pictures". http://www.armyrecognition.com/turkey_turkish_army_wheeled_armoured_vehicles_uk/kirpi_bmc_350_mrap_armoured_vehicle_personnel_carrier_data_sheet_specifications_description_pictures.html.
- Administrator. "Kirpi BMC 350 MRAP armoured vehicle personnel carrier data sheet specifications description pictures". http://www.armyrecognition.com/turkey_turkish_army_wheeled_armoured_vehicles_uk/kirpi_bmc_350_mrap_armoured_vehicle_personnel_carrier_data_sheet_specifications_description_pictures.html.
- ARG. "Kirpi Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicle | Military-Today.cm". http://www.military-today.com/apc/kirpi.htm.
- Administrator. "Kirpi BMC 350 MRAP armoured vehicle personnel carrier data sheet specifications description pictures | Turkey Turkish army wheeled armoured vehicles UK | Turkey Turkish army military equipment vehicles UK". http://www.armyrecognition.com/turkey_turkish_army_wheeled_armoured_vehicles_uk/kirpi_bmc_350_mrap_armoured_vehicle_personnel_carrier_data_sheet_specifications_description_pictures.html.
- "Cargo ship loaded with Turkish military vehicles arrives in Tripoli" (in en). Al Arabiya English. 19 May 2019. https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/north-africa/2019/05/19/Cargo-ship-loaded-with-Turkish-military-vehicles-arrives-in-Tripoli.
- "Turkey-Qatar cement defence ties with DIMDEX deals | Jane's 360". http://www.janes.com/article/78718/turkey-qatar-cement-defence-ties-with-dimdex-deals.
- "Turkey donates 12 military vehicles to Somalia" (in en). Anadolu Agency. 27 August 2020. https://www.aa.com.tr/en/turkey/turkey-donates-12-military-vehicles-to-somalia/1955609.
- http://www.businessinsider.com.au/turkeys-military-equipment-explained-2015-11#/ Archived 18 January 2016 at the Wayback Machine.#the-bmc-kirpi-is-yet-another-home-grown-piece-of-turkish-military-hardware-the-turkish-army-has-over-600-of-them-kirpi-means-hedgehog-in-turkish-9
- "Archived copy". http://www.memurlar.net/haber/533284/.
- Zaman 15.02.2014 The Kirpi export to Tunisia from BMC
- "Armored Cars: BMC Kirpi". 21st Century Asian Arms Race. http://21stcenturyasianarmsrace.com/2015/05/14/armored-cars-bmc-kirpi/.
- "Turkish MRAP output ramps up [IDX15D2"]. IHS Jane's 360. http://www.janes.com/article/49323/turkish-mrap-output-ramps-up-idx15d2.
- "TSK’ya 529 yeni Kirpi geliyor" (in tr-TR). SVT | Savunma ve Teknoloji. http://savunmaveteknoloji.com/tskya-529-yeni-kirpi-geliyor/.
- "Turkmenistan Military Parade 2016" (in tk). Ashgabat. 31 October 2016. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkGQUCXgeD0.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Category:BMC Kirpi.|
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|