Avinash Chander is an Indian scientist who was Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister, the Director General of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), and Secretary, Department of Defence Research and Development. He had succeeded V. K. Saraswat to this post.
Chander joined DRDO after completing his training in Electrical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IIT Delhi). He subsequently pursued an MS in Spatial Information Technology and Doctorate from Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad (JNTU, Hyderabad).
After completion of 42 years of Distinguished Service in DRDO, On 14 January 2015 the Department of Personnel and Training advised his contract as Chief of DRDO was to finish on 31 January 2015.
Chander is recipient of numerous awards, some of which are listed below:
- IIT Delhi Alumni Award
- Padma Shri
- DRDO Scientist of the year, 1989
- Astronautical Society of India Award, 1997
- Awarded by Dr. R. Chidambaram, Principal Scientific Advisor to Govt. of India.
- AGNI Self-Reliance Award, 1999
- Dr. Biren Roy Space Science Award, 2000
- DRDO Award, 2007
- Outstanding Technologist Award, 2008
- DRDO Technology Leadership Award, 2008
- Fellow, Indian National Academy of Engineers
- Fellow, System Society of India
- Fellow, Andhra Pradesh Academy of Sciences
- Vice-President, Astronautical Society of India
- Chairman – Sensors Research Society, India
- Aryabhata Award - Astronautical Society of India.
- Eminent Engineer Award, The Institute of Engineers (India) 2016.
- Missile man Avinash Chander appointed new DRDO Chief
- AVINASH CHANDER
- Avinash Chander is new DRDO chief
- In Conversation with Avinash Chander
- Som, Vishnu (15 January 2015). "After Sacking, Business as Usual for Avinash Chander at DRDO". India News. New Delhi Television Limited (NDTV). http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/after-sacking-business-as-usual-for-avinash-chander-at-drdo-727393. Retrieved 21 March 2015.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|