|Army of Mujahedeen|
|Participant in the Syrian Civil War|
File:Army of Mujahedeen logo.png|
Official logo of the Army of Mujahedeen
|Active||2 January 2014 – present|
Sheikh Tawfiq Shahabuddin|
Lt. Col. Abu Bakr
Cap. Mohammed Shakerdi
|Aleppo Governorate, Syria|
|Strength||More than 5,000-12,000|
Syria Revolutionaries Front|
Syrian Armed Forces|
Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant
The Army of Mujahedeen (Arabic: جيش المجاهدين, Jaysh al-Mujahedeen) is a coalition of Islamist rebel groups which formed in order to fight the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) during the Syrian Civil War. The group has accused ISIL of disrupting "security and stability" in areas that have been freed from the control of the Assad regime. The spokesperson of the coalition has said it will start operations in Idlib and Aleppo and gradually expand towards the rest of Syria.
The factions which formed the Army of Mujahedeen largely emerged from the villages and towns of the Aleppo hinterland. The Army does not have a political program, and although the member groups have an Islamist identity, they were largely non-ideological Free Syrian Army affiliated groups earlier in the Syrian Civil War. The three groups at the core of the alliance are the Nur al-Din al-Zanki Islamic Brigades, Division 19 and Fastaqim Kama Umirt.
- Nur al-Din al-Zanki Islamic Brigades
- al-Noor Islamic Movement
Fastaqim Kama Umirt:
- Aleppo City Battalion
- Liwaa Halab al-Shahbaa
- Liwaa al-Islam
Division 19 of the Free Syrian Army:
- Liwaa al-Ansar
- Liwaa Amjad al-Islam
- Liwaa Ansar al-Khilafa
- al-Quds Brigades
- Khan al-Assal Free Brigades
- al-Shuyukh Brigade
- Liwaa al-Mujahireen
- "Syrian Opposition Builds Army Against Assad, Al-Qaeda". Anadolu Agency. 3 January 2014. http://en.haberler.com/syrian-opposition-builds-army-against-assad-al-342476/. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- "Syria opposition says it backs rebel fight against al-Qaeda". Al Arabiya News. 4 January 2014. http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2014/01/04/New-Syria-rebel-alliance-declares-war-on-al-Qaeda.html. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- "Syria: Army of the Mujahideen Challenges ISIS Gains". Al Akhbar. 6 January 2014. http://english.al-akhbar.com/content/syria-army-mujahideen-challenges-isis-gains. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "Pushing Back Against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant: The Syria Revolutionaries’ Front and the Mujahideen Army". Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. 7 January 2014. http://carnegieendowment.org/syriaincrisis/?fa=54103. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- "Al Qaida rebels leave mass grave behind as they desert base in Syria". McClatchy. 6 January 2014. http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2014/01/06/213669/al-qaida-rebels-leave-mass-grave.html. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- "Syria rebels unite and launch new revolt, against jihadists". AFP. 4 January 2014. Archived from the original on 4 January 2014. http://web.archive.org/web/20140104223644/http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iBiqK22imjhxK_n7xBbQceWLU-7w?docId=a3877bbc-2d91-4961-bc3c-b28f5082ea89. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- "Qaeda-Linked Insurgents Clash With Other Rebels in Syria, as Schism Grows". New York Times. 3 January 2014. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/04/world/middleeast/qaeda-insurgents-in-syria.html?_r=1&. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- "Syrian rebels launch fierce offensive against al Qaeda fighters". Reuters. 4 January 2014. http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/04/us-syria-crisis-fighting-idUSBREA0308720140104. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- "The Mujahedeen Army of Aleppo". Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. 8 April 2014. http://carnegieendowment.org/syriaincrisis/?fa=55275. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- "Factbox: Syrian rebels against opposition coalition". Reuters. 25 September 2013. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/25/us-syria-crisis-opposition-factbox-idUSBRE98O0Q720130925. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- A on Twitter (Arabic)
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|