|William Andrew "Andy" Beckstoffer|
|Education||MBA, Tuck School of Business, 1966|
|Alma mater||Virginia Tech, Dartmouth College|
William Andrew "Andy" Beckstoffer is a California vineyard owner, with holdings in Napa, Lake County, and Mendocino.
Beckstoffer was a resident of Richmond, Virginia, and went to Virginia Tech on a football scholarship. He graduated with an Engineering degree, and served in the United States Army. While in the Army, he learned about the California wine industry in San Francisco. Upon leaving the Army, he entered graduate school at Dartmouth, earning a Masters of Business Administration in 1966, and went to work for a finance company, Hueblein Inc. He convinced the company to invest in the burgeoning wine industry.
By 1973, he purchased the wing of Hueblein that owned approximately 1,200 acres (490 ha) of land in Napa and Mendocino, calling it Vinefera Vineyards. By 2010, he had expanded his company's holdings to 1,072 acres (434 ha) in Napa, 1,138 acres (461 ha) in Mendocino, and over 1,100 acres (450 ha) in Lake County.
Influence on the California wine industry
Beckstoffer was involved in settling a labor dispute led by Cesar Chavez in the late 1960s and early 1970s. His vineyard management practices, including decisions regarding vine spacing and irrigation, have helped to modernize the California wine industry. Additionally, he has been active in the definition of the Rutherford and Saint Helena AVAs.
- Hardy, Quentin (16 September 2002). "The Appellation Trail". https://www.forbes.com/forbes/2002/0916/103.html. Retrieved 29 June 2011.
- "Andy Beckstoffer Biography". Beckstoffer Vineyards. http://www.beckstoffervineyards.com/about_andy_beckstoffer_biography.cfm. Retrieved 29 June 2011.
- "Timeline". Beckstoffer Vineyards. http://www.beckstoffervineyards.com/about_timeline.cfm. Retrieved 29 June 2011.
- Goldfarb, Alan. "Feature Interview: Napa Valley grower Andy Beckstoffer". Appellation America. Archived from the original on 29 March 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20120329043816/http://wine.appellationamerica.com/wine-review/165/Feature-Interview%3A--Napa-Valley-grower-Andy-Beckstoffer.html. Retrieved 29 June 2011.
- "Andy Beckstoffer". Calwineries. http://www.calwineries.com/learn/people-and-institutions/andy-beckstoffer. Retrieved 29 June 2011.
- "The St. Helena Viticultural Area". 11 September 1995. pp. 47053–47061. http://frwebgate3.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/PDFgate.cgi?WAISdocID=fNrTBT/0/2/0&WAISaction=retrieve. Retrieved 29 June 2011. [dead link]
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|