|Base Aérea de Anápolis|
Mirages 2000 at Anápolis in 2008
|Type||Air Force Base|
|Brazilian Air Force|
|Controlled by||Brazil Air Force|
|Cel. Av. Gustavo Pestana Garcez|
Anápolis Air Force Base – ALA2 (ICAO: SBAN) is a base of the Brazilian Air Force, located in Anápolis, Brazil.
The history of Anápolis Air Force Base begins on 9 February 1970, when its construction started, with the main purpose of receiving the new air force fighter at the time, the Mirage III, designated by the Brazilian Air Force as F-103. For strategic reasons, was decided that the new air base would be close to the capital Brasília. After several studies (including issues of air traffic and radio interference) the choice was the city of Anápolis, located 160 km from Brasília.
The facility became operational on 23 August 1972, with the completion of the airstrip. A new air unit, specially created to operate the F-103, was then activated: the 1st Air Defense Wing (1º ALADA). This unit was decommissioned on 19 April 1979, transferring its mission to the 1st Air Defense Group (1º GDA), the unit was responsible for operating the F-103 until 2005. In 2006, started to operate the Mirage 2000, already retired. Currently operates the F-5EM & FM.
The following units are based at Anápolis Air Force Base:
- Adelphi Squadron of the 1st Air Defense Group (1º GDA) using the F-39 Gripen E & F.
- Jaguar Squadron of the 1st Air Defense Group (1º GDA) using the F-5EM & FM.
- 1st Troop Transportation Group (1º GTT) Zeus, using the KC-390.
- 1st Squadron of the 6th Aviation Group (1º/6º GAv) Carcará, using the R-35AM.
- 2nd Squadron of the 6th Aviation Group (2º/6º GAv) Guardião, using the E-99M and R-99M.
The base is located 12 km from downtown Anápolis.
This gallery displays aircraft that are currently or have been based at Anápolis. The gallery is not comprehensive.
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- "Trade Registers". Armstrade.sipri.org. http://armstrade.sipri.org/armstrade/page/trade_register.php.
- "Brasil renova acordo e prolonga a vida dos Mirage 2000" (in Portuguese). 5 October 2011. http://planobrasil.com/2011/10/05/brasil-renova-acordo-e-prolonga-a-vida-dso-mirage-2000/.
- "World Air Forces 2019". Flightglobal Insight. 2019. https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/analysis-2019-world-air-forces-directory-454126/.
- Thisdell, Dan (27 October 2014). "Saab, Brazil finalise Gripen NG deal". Flight Global. http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/saab-brazil-finalise-gripen-ng-deal-405288/.
- "Esquadrão Adelphi será reativado" (in pt). 23 November 2019. https://www.edrotacultural.com.br/esquadrao-adelphi-sera-reativado/.
- "1º GDA - Esquadrão Jaguar" (in pt). http://www.spotter.com.br/esquadroes/jaguar_01.htm. Retrieved 21 April 2021.
- "1º GTT - Esquadrão Zeus" (in pt). http://www.spotter.com.br/esquadroes/1gtt_01.htm. Retrieved 21 April 2021.
- "1º/6º GAv - Esquadrão Carcará" (in pt). http://www.spotter.com.br/esquadroes/carcara_01.htm. Retrieved 21 April 2021.
- "2º/6º GAv - Esquadrão Guardião" (in pt). http://www.spotter.com.br/esquadroes/guardiao_01.htm. Retrieved 21 April 2021.
- Airport information for SBAN at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF.
- Current weather for SBAN at NOAA/National Weather Service
- Accident history for SBAN at Aviation Safety Network
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|