|American military intervention in Cameroon|
|Part of Boko Haram insurgency|
Boko Haram in the Lake Chad Region, as of 14 March 2015
|United States of America||
Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant
|Commanders and leaders|
Mallam Sanni Umaru
Abu Usmatul al-Ansari
The American military intervention in Cameroon started in October 2015, when President Barack Obama ordered U.S. forces to be dispatched to the region, in order to support African forces in a non-combat role, in their war against Islamist militants in West Africa.
From 2009, the slowly simmering Boko Haram insurgency grew greatly. From 2013 the local Islamist insurgency became large enough to threaten regional stability. In 2015, Abubakar Shekau, the leader of Boko Haram pledged loyalty to ISIS, prompting great American concern.
With the invitation of the Cameroonian government secured in early October, the US began to deploy 300 troops. The troops' primary missions will revolve around providing intelligence support to local forces as well as conducting reconnaissance flights.
The troops are also overseeing a program to transfer American military vehicles to the Cameroonian Army to aid in their fight against Islamists.
- American-led intervention in Syria
- American-led intervention in Iraq (2014–present)
- List of wars and battles involving ISIL
- "Boko Haram swears formal allegiance to ISIS". Fox News. March 8, 2015. http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/03/08/boko-haram-swears-formal-allegiance-to-isis/.
- Sudarsan Raghavan (31 May 2013). "Nigerian Islamist militants return from Mali with weapons, skills". The Washington Post. http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/africa/nigerian-islamist-militants-return-from-mali-with-weapons-skills/2013/05/31/d377579e-c628-11e2-9cd9-3b9a22a4000a_story.html. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- Steve White (13 March 2013). "Nigerian hostage deaths: British hostage executed in error". Daily Mirror. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/nigerian-hostage-deaths-british-hostage-1754571. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "Nigeria: Boko Haram Resurrects, Declares Total Jihad". allAfrica. http://allafrica.com/stories/200908140646.html.
- "How Big Is Boko Haram?". 2 February 2015. https://medium.com/war-is-boring/how-big-is-boko-haram-fac21c25807. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- Crilly, Rob. "Boko Haram swears allegiance to Isil". Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/nigeria/11457195/Boko-Haram-swears-allegiance-to-Isil.html. Retrieved 2015-10-25.
- "Obama to deploy 300 US troops to Cameroon to fight Boko Haram | World news". The Guardian. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/14/obama-deployment-us-troops-cameroon-boko-haram. Retrieved 2015-10-25.
- "US troops deployed to Cameroon for Boko Haram fight". Al Jazeera English. 2015-10-14. http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/10/usa-troops-deployed-cameroon-boko-haram-fight-151014212428195.html. Retrieved 2015-10-25.
- 12:28 p.m. EDT October 20, 2015 (2015-10-20). "US Sending Troops, Vehicles To Cameroon To Combat Boko Haram". Defensenews.com. http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/land/vehicles/2015/10/20/us-sending-troops-vehicles-to-cameroon-to-combat-boko-haram/74265026/. Retrieved 2015-10-25.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|