Democracy Activist |
Ali al-Abdallah is a Syrian writer and human rights activist. He was arrested in Syria in March 2006. He was again arrested and jailed during 2007 after trying to revive the Damascus Declaration, a rights movement named after a 2005 document that demanded that bans on freedom of speech and assembly be lifted and Syria's emergency law abolished. He was released from Adra Prison on June 23, 2010, and re-imprisoned one day later for writing an article that was critical of Syria's ties with Iran. A Syrian military court charged him with weakening national morale. The United States asked Syria to free him.
Amnesty International declared him a prisoner of conscience, "held solely for the peaceful expression of his beliefs", and called for his immediate release.
- "Syria jails elderly lawyer for striving to end emergency law". Haaretz. February 26, 2011. http://www.haaretz.com/news/international/syria-jails-elderly-lawyer-for-striving-to-end-emergency-law-1.299983. Retrieved June 13, 2011.
- "NewsLibrary". Nl.newsbank.com. March 23, 2006. http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=NewsLibrary&p_multi=BBAB&d_place=BBAB&p_theme=newslibrary2&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=1108F8EFA9CF1C18&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM. Retrieved June 13, 2011.
- No Room to Breathe. November 8, 2005. http://books.google.com/books?id=vAG1EzqxXyAC&pg=PA31&dq=%22Ali+al-Abdullah%22+syrian&hl=en&ei=YUX2Tdj2E6Sr0AHg4ISpAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAQ. Retrieved June 13, 2011.
- Human Rights Watch (December 17, 2010). "Syria: Free Activist Who Criticized Iran – AlertNet". Trust.org. http://www.trust.org/alertnet/news/syria-free-activist-who-criticized-iran/. Retrieved June 13, 2011.
- "Syrian writer held again after release". Gulf Times. June 19, 2010. http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/printArticle.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=369073&version=1&template_id=37&parent_id=17. Retrieved June 13, 2011.
- "Syria jails elderly government critic for 3 years". Uk.reuters.com. July 4, 2010. http://uk.reuters.com/article/2010/07/04/uk-syria-lawyer-idUKTRE6631L720100704. Retrieved June 13, 2011.
- "Release Syrian prisoner of conscience ‘Ali al-‘Abdullah". Amnesty International. February 4, 2011. http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset/MDE24/011/2011/en/549618a3-84e3-4c8c-bb30-0a77f34700a8/mde240112011en.html. Retrieved April 17, 2011.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|