|Dr. Alfred Martin Bernhard|
|Born||March 23, 1919|
|Died||3 May 1987(aged 68)|
|Place of birth||Goldberg|
|Place of death||Frankfurt am Main|
|Years of service||1937–1945|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Dr. Alfred Martin Bernhard (23 March 1919 – 3 May 1987) was a highly decorated Major in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Alfred Bernhard was captured by Soviet troops in May 1945 and was released in 1949.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (24 October 1939)
- 1st Class (5 February 1943)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black (30 September 1943)
- Infantry Assault Badge (10 July 1942)
- Crimea Shield (15 January 1943)
- Eastern Front Medal (20 October 1942)
- German Cross in Gold (23 September 1944)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 14 February 1945 as Hauptmann and commander of Heeres-Unteroffiziersschule Jauer 
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 111.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) (in German). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches]. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007) (in German). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives]. Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.