Bortnikov graduated from the Leningrad Institute of Railway Engineers in 1973.
From February 24, 2004 to May 12, 2008, he was Head of the Economic Security Service of FSB and a Deputy Director of FSB.
In February 2007 Russian magazine The New Times wrote about the plan to murder Alexander Litvinenko with reference to "a source in the FSB": "People from the top management of the agency had taken part in the elaboration of the plan, maintains an FSB source. And, allegedly, FSB Director Patrushev knew about it. According to the same source, Head of the FSB Economic Security Department general-lieutenant Alexander Bortnikov had allegedly been appointed overseer of the operation." In May 2007 he was reported to have been implicated in a money-laundering case investigated by the RF Interior Ministry in connection with the murder of the Central Bank Deputy Head Andrey Kozlov. On May 12, 2008, he was appointed Director of the FSB by President Dmitry Medvedev and is believed by some security analysts to be Medvedev's man.
He is also a member of the board of directors of Sovkomflot.
Honours and awards
- Order of Merit for the Fatherland, 2nd, 3rd and 4th classes
- Order of Military Merit
- Medal of Honour
- Diploma of the Government of the Russian Federation (15 November 2006) - for his great personal contribution to the economic security of the country and many years of honest service
- "Biographies of the political leaders of the Medvedev Administration". Barcelona Centre for International Affairs. 2010. http://www.cidob.org/en/content/download/25724/313718/file/Rusia_BIOGRAFIAS+LIDERES+POLITICOS_ANG.pdf.
- Кто и зачем убил Литвиненко. (Who and wherefore killed Litvinenko) The New Times №1 February 5, 2007.
- Австрийская полиция может возбудить дело против ключевых чиновников Кремля, утверждает New Times NEWSru.com May 23, 2007.
- Officials are taking money away to the West by Natalia Morar, The New Times № 15, May 21, 2007 English translation
- FSB Shuffle Seen Helping Medvedev The Moscow Times May 13, 2008.
Wikimedia Commons has media related to Category:Alexander Vasilyevich Bortnikov.
- His page in electronic database "anticompromat.ru" (Russian) and his index page, by Vladimir Pribylovsky
Government offices Preceded by
Chief of the St. Petersburg and Leningrad Oblast FSB Directorate
June 2003 – March 2004
Head of the Economic Security Service of FSB
February 24, 2004 – May 12, 2008
Director of the FSB
May 12, 2008–present
Incumbent This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).