|Part of the Syrian Civil War|
|Date||11–12 December 2013|
|Target||Alawites, Christians, Druze and Ismailites|
32–40 (opposition claim)|
80–100 (government claim)
The Adra massacre was the killing of at least 132 Alawite, Christians, Druze and Ismailite civilians in the industrial town of Adra, Syria in December 2013 during the Syrian Civil War. According to the government and activists it was conducted by the al-Nusra Front. The U.S. State Department condemned massacres in Syria, and noted and condemned 'the latest report of a massacre of civilians in Adra.'
On 11 December, the rebel Islamic Front and Al-Nusra Front groups infiltrated the industrial area of the town of Adra, northeast of Damascus, attacking buildings housing workers and their families. The rebels targeted Alawites, Druze, Christians and Shiites, killing them on a sectarian basis. Some people were shot while others were beheaded. The killings lasted into the next day. In all some 19–40 minority civilians were massacred, as the rebels captured the industrial part of Adra. 18 pro-government militiamen were also killed, including five PLA members. Several rebels died when a Shiite man detonated a hand grenade, killing himself, the rebels, and members of his family, after the rebels attempted to kill them.
On 13 December, the military surrounded Adra and started an operation to push out rebel fighters from the area, making advances in the town during the day. As of the next day, the operation was still continuing.
By 15 December, the number of minority civilians confirmed killed in the rebel attack on Adra had risen to 132. Dozens of others were missing. The Syrian military claimed more than 80 people were killed by Islamic rebels, while the Syrian Foreign Ministry put out a figure of more than 100 dead.
On 30 December, reports said that the Syrian army evacuated around 5,000 people from Adra, while on 31 December, the government news agency reported that more people were evacuated, bringing the total number of evacuees to more than 6,000.
- List of massacres during the Syrian Civil War
- Syrian troops launch offensive after dozens killed
- Islamists kill 15 Alawite and Druze civilians in Syria -activists
- Syrian regime drops barrel bombs in air attack in Aleppo; 78 dead include 28 children
- Civilian Massacres in Syria
- Islamists kill 15 Alawite and Druze civilians in Syria -activists Reuters. 12 December 2012.
- Many civilians feared dead as rebels capture town near Damascus
- Syria army aims to expel rebels from town on road to capital
- Syria rebel commander freezes to death: activists
- Opposition, government trade accusations of slaughter in Syria
- Al-Qaida militants kill over 100 Syrians near Damascus: FM
- Syrian govt evacuates 5,000 from town besieged by Islamist rebels
- More thousands of citizens evacuated from Adra into safe haven
- Syria Geneva II talks: Scepticism on the streets as al-Qa’ida poses as peacemaker
- SYRIA ARMY TAKES KEY REBEL-HELD TOWN NEAR CAPITAL
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|