The ARGUS-IS, or the Autonomous Real-Time Ground Ubiquitous Surveillance Imaging System, is a Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) project contracted to BAE Systems. According to DARPA:
The mission of the Autonomous Real-time Ground Ubiquitous Surveillance - Imaging System (ARGUS-IS) program is to provide military users a flexible and responsive capability to find, track and monitor events and activities of interest on a continuous basis in areas of interest.
The overall objective is to increase situational awareness and understanding enabling an ability to find and fix critical events in a large area in enough time to influence events. ARGUS - IS provides military users an "eyes-on" persistent wide area surveillance capability to support tactical users in a dynamic battlespace or urban environment.
The contract was awarded in late 2007 with a budget of US$18.5 million and duration of 30 months.
The three principal components of the ARGUS-IS are a 1.8 Gigapixels video system plus two processing subsystems, one in the air and the other located on the ground.
The sensor uses four lenses and 368 cell phone cameras, 5 megapixels each.
A demonstration of the system was made available to the PBS NOVA program and used in a story on UAVs.
- "Mission: Autonomous Real-time Ground Ubiquitous Surveillance - Imaging System (ARGUS-IS)". DARPA. Archived from the original on 31 January 2010. http://web.archive.org/web/20100131011638/http://www.darpa.mil/ipto/programs/argus/argus.asp. Retrieved 2010-02-19.
- Bezier, Doug (2007-11-12). "BAE to Develop Surveillance System". The Washington Post. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/11/AR2007111101348.html. Retrieved 2010-02-19.
- "Overview: Autonomous Real-time Ground Ubiquitous Surveillance - Imaging System (ARGUS-IS)". DARPA. http://www.darpa.mil/IPTO/programs/argus/argus_approach.asp. Retrieved 2010-02-19.
- "S&TR April-May 2011 From Video to Knowledge". LLNL. https://str.llnl.gov/AprMay11/vaidya.html. Retrieved 2012-05-08.
- "BAE has success with ARGUS-IS". UPI. 2010-02-09. Archived from the original on 11 February 2010. http://web.archive.org/web/20100211063159/http://www.upi.com/Business_News/Security-Industry/2010/02/09/BAE-has-success-with-ARGUS-IS/UPI-78931265744037/. Retrieved 2010-02-19.
- "ARGUS - DARPA's All-Seeing Eye". http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&newspaperUserId=27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckPostId=Blog%3a27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3a881370e5-a10f-46be-bab0-bf60fa08b425&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest. Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- Video on Youtube
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|