The A244-s is a lightweight, fire-and-forget torpedo employed for anti-submarine warfare. It can be launched from surface vessels or from aircraft, and locate the target by means of an acoustic seeker. The torpedo uses a CIACIO-S seeker, consisting of an acoustic homing head containing the transducer assembly, transmitter and related Beamforming circuits, and a frame housing all the remaining electronic components. The homing head is capable of active, passive or mixed modes for closing onto its target. It can also discriminate between decoys and real targets in the presence of heavy reverberations by specially emitted pulses and signal processing. The latest version is the A244/s mod.3 torpedo. The A244/s are manufactured by the Italian/French EuroTorp consortium.
- Length: 2.8 m
- Diameter: 0.324 m
- Maximum Mass: 244 kg
- Cruise/Top speed: 30/39 kts [16/20 m/s]
- Depth: 600 m
- Maximum Range: 6 km for Mod. 1, 13.5 km for Mod. 3
- Funnell, Clifford (ed.) (February 2007, 19th edition). Jane's Underwater Warfare Systems, 2007-2008. Jane's Information Group. ISBN 0-7106-2815-3.
- Jane's Air-Launched Weapons: A.244/S lightweight torpedo
- A244/S Mod. 3, Eurotorp
- A244 Datasheet
- Deagel.com, specifications
- History & specifications, at Jane's website, retrieved 2009-03-08
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|