|902d Air Refueling Squadron|
902d Air Refueling Squadron Patch
|Branch||United States Air Force|
The 902d Air Refueling Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. It was last assigned to the 70th Bombardment Wing at Clinton-Sherman Air Force Base, Oklahoma, where it was inactivated on 31 December 1969.
The squadron was activated in 1958 at Clinton-Sherman AFB by Strategic Air Command (SAC) and became the refueling component of the 4123d Strategic Wing when the wing moved from Carswell AFB, Texas. The squadron operated Boeing KC-135 Stratotankers, providing air refueling support to the Boeing B-52 Stratofortress strategic bombers of its parent wing and other USAF units as directed. The squadron transferred to the 70th Bombardment Wing in 1963 when SAC replaced its Major Command controlled MAJCON strategic wings with wings carrying the honors of World War II organizations. The 902d deployed to Western Pacific to support combat operations of deployed SAC units and tactical aircraft over Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War between 1966 and 1969. The squadron inactivated with its parent 70th Bombardment Wing in 1969 when Clinton-Sherman AFB closed. Its equipment and personnel were reassigned to other units.
- Constituted as the 902d Air Refueling Squadron, Heavy on 28 May 1958
- Activated on 11 December 1958
- Inactivated on 31 December 1969
- Consolidated with the 602d Bombardment Squadron on 19 September 1985 (remained inactive)
- Clinton-Sherman AFB, Oklahoma, 11 December 1958 – 31 December 1969
- Second Air Force: 11 December 1958
- 4123d Strategic Wing: 1 March 1959
- 70th Bombardment Wing: 1 February 1963 – 31 December 1969
- Boeing KC-135A Stratotanker
|Air Force Outstanding Unit Award||6 October 1959 – 15 July 1960|||
|Air Force Outstanding Unit Award||15 April 1968 – 1 October 1968|||
- Ravenstein, Charles A. (1984). Air Force Combat Wings, Lineage & Honors Histories 1947–1977. Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. p. 109. ISBN 0-912799-12-9. http://www.airforcehistory.hq.af.mil/Publications/fulltext/combat_wings.pdf.
- Department of the Air Force/MPM Letter 662q, 19 Sep 85, Subject: Reconstitution, Redesignation, and Consolidation of Selected Air Force Tactical Squadrons
- AF Pamphlet 900-2, Unit Decorations, Awards and Campaign Participation Credits Department of the Air Force, Washington, DC, 15 Jun 1971, p. 476
- Ravenstein, Charles A. (1984). Air Force Combat Wings, Lineage & Honors Histories 1947–1977. Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-912799-12-9. http://www.airforcehistory.hq.af.mil/Publications/fulltext/combat_wings.pdf.
- AF Pamphlet 900-2, Unit Decorations, Awards and Campaign Participation Credits Department of the Air Force, Washington, DC, 15 Jun 1971
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|