|6th Foreign Infantry Regiment|
(6e Régiment étranger d'infanterie)
Regimental badge of 6e REI
|Allegiance||French Foreign Legion|
|Colors||Green & Red|
The 6th Foreign Infantry Regiment was founded on October 15, 1939 in Syria with the elements of the disbanded 1st Foreign Infantry Regiment and the 2nd Foreign Infantry Regiment. The Regiment was established in part to handle the large number of foreign volunteers for French military service at the beginning of World War II, which numbered around 64,000 at the regiment's founding. The 6th Foreign Infantry Regiment remained loyal to Vichy France at the beginning of World War II. The 6th Foreign Infantry Regiment was disbanded on December 31, 1941. The regiment was founded once more in Tunisia on April 1, 1949. The regiment went on to fight in the First Indochina War. Following its Indochina service, the regiment operated in Tunisia as part of French operations to maintain order in that country. The Regiment was disbanded on June 30, 1955.
When first established the 6th Foreign Infantry Regiment consisted of 3,287 men. It was part of the 192nd Infantry Division. The regiment was organized as follows:
- HQ Staff, located at Homs
- 1st Battalion, formerly of the 1st Foreign Infantry Regiment, garrisoned at Soeuid.
- 2nd Battalion, formerly of the 1st Foreign Infantry Regiment, garrisoned at Baalbeck.
- 3rd Battalion, formerly of the 2nd Foreign Infantry Regiment, garrisoned at Damascus.
- 4th Battalion, formerly of the 1st Foreign Infantry Regiment, garrisoned at Homs and Palmyra.
- Windrow, Martin (1999). French Foreign Legion 1914–1945. pp. 21.
- Porch, Douglas (1992).The French Foreign Legion: The Complete History of the Legendary Fighting Force, p. 446.
- Porch, Douglas. The French Foreign Legion. New York: Harper Collins, 1991. ISBN 978-0-06-092308-2
- Windrow, Martin (1996). French Foreign Legion 1914–1945. Oxford: Osprey Publishing. ISBN 1-85532-761-9.
- 6e REI - History & images of the 6e REI
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|