|478th Aeronautical Systems Wing|
Emblem of the 478th Aeronautical Systems Wing
|Role||Depot Level Aircraft Maintenance|
|Part of||Air Force Material Command|
|Garrison/HQ||Wright-Patterson Air Force Base|
The antecedent group was a Fourth Air Force RTU and west coast air defense fighter unit, 1943-1944. It provided Air Defense in the North-Central United States, 1957-1963. From 2004 to the present it provided Depot level maintenance.
The 478th ASW is a depot-level maintenance organization tasked with the servicing of F-22A Raptor aircraft and weapons systems.
- Constituted as 478th Fighter Group on 12 October 1943
- Activated on 1 December 1943
- Disbanded on 31 March 1944
- Reconstituted and redesignated 478th Fighter Group (Air Defense), on 11 December 1956
- Activated on 28 February 1957
- Resesignated 478th Fighter Wing (Air Defense) on 28 December 1960
- Inactivated on 1 July 1963
- Reactivated and redesignated 478th Aeronautical Systems Wing, Appx 2004.
- San Francisco Fighter Wing, 1 December 1943
- Seattle Fighter Wing, 3 February-31 March 1944
- Central Air Defense Force, 28 February 1957
- 31st Air Division, 8 February 1957
- 29th Air Division, 1 January 1959
- Central Air Defense Force, 1 July 1959
- Grand Forks Air Defense Sector, 28 December 1960 – 1 July 1963
- Air Materiel Command, 2004–present (Apprx)
- 18th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, 1 February 1961 – 1 July 1963
- 546th Fighter Squadron, 1 December 1943 – 31 March 1944
- Hamilton Field, California, 1 December 1943
- Santa Rosa Army Airfield, California, 12 December 1943
- Redmond Army Airfield, Oregon, 3 February-31 March 1944
- Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota, 20 February 1957 – 1 July 1963
- Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, 2004–present (Apprx)
- Maurer, Maurer. Air Force Combat Units of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1983. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
- Ravenstein, Charles A. Air Force Combat Wings Lineage and Honors Histories, 1947–1977. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1984. ISBN 0-912799-12-9.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|