|2014 Attack on Indian Consulate in Herat|
|Part of War in Afghanistan (2001–2021)|
Location of Herat Province in Afghanistan
23 May 2014 |
The Indian consulate in Herat, Afghanistan was attacked around 3:15 a.m. on 23 May 2014 by four heavily-armed militants. All the attackers were killed during a lengthy gun battle, one by the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBF) and three by the Afghan security forces.
No one in the consulate's staff was injured. A squad of 23 ITBF personnel was guarding the consulate. The consulate, located in central Herat, enjoys extensive protection comparable only to the U.S. consulate in the city. It has at least three layers of security, and visitors must walk 200 m to reach it as the road leading to it is barricaded.
According to Abdul Sami Qatra, the provincial police chief, the militants opened fire on the consulate from a nearby home with machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades. No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.
Afghanistan's President Hamid Karzai spoke to India's Prime Minister designate Narendra Modi after the attack and called it "an attack on Afghanistan, India and our shared interests". Narendra Modi condemned the attack and assured support to Amar Sinha, the Indian ambassador to Afghanistan.
The External affairs ministry of Sri Lanka and Foreign Affairs Ministry of Pakistan also condemned the attack.
- "Indian Consulate in Afghanistan attacked, 4 gunmen killed". 23 May 2014. http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/south-asia/indian-consulate-in-afghanistan-attacked-4-gunmen-killed/article6039939.ece?homepage=true. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- "Attack on Indian consulate in Afghanistan's Herat thwarted, all gunmen killed". 23 May 2014. http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/indian-consulate-in-afghanistan-s-herat-attacked-by-unknown-gunmen/article1-1221993.aspx. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- Arora, Kamna (23 May 2014). "Indian consulate in Afghanistan attacked: Four gunmen killed, Hamid Karzai calls Narendra Modi". http://zeenews.india.com/news/nation/indian-consulate-in-afghanistan-attacked-four-gunmen-killed-hamid-karzai-calls-narendra-modi_934202.html. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- "Why Was India's Herat Consulate Attacked?". 24 May 2014. http://thediplomat.com/2014/05/why-was-indias-herat-consulate-attacked/. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
- "Indian consulate attacked in Afghanistan's Herat". 23 May 2014. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/Indian-consulate-attacked-in-Afghanistans-Herat/articleshow/35498871.cms. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- "Gunmen attack Indian Consulate in Afghanistan". 23 May 2014. http://bigstory.ap.org/article/gunmen-attack-indian-consulate-afghanistan-0. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
- "Narendra Modi condemns attack on Indian consulate in Herat". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. http://news.biharprabha.com/2014/05/narendra-modi-condemns-attack-on-indian-consulate-in-herat/. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- "Sri Lanka and Pakistan condemn Attack on Indian Consulate in Herat". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. http://news.biharprabha.com/2014/05/sri-lanka-condemns-attack-on-indian-consulate-in-herat/. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|