|1 Special Service Battalion|
|Active||1 May 1933 - present|
|Branch||South African Army|
|Motto(s)||Eendrag Maakt Mag (Unity is Strength)|
|Colors||Blue and Orange|
Ratel armoured personnel carriers |
Rooikat Armoured car
World War II |
South African Border War
|Cap Badge||A spray of three protea flowers, bound by a ribbon bearing the initials and motto|
1 Special Service Battalion (usually abbreviated to 1SSB) is an armoured regiment of the South African Army and only one of two such in its regular forces. The Regiment is based at Tempe near Bloemfontein.
It was previously known both as in English 1 Special Service Battalion, and in the Afrikaans Language as 1 Spesiale Diens Bataljon (1 SSB and 1 SDB).
When the South African Armoured Corps was thus officially proclaimed in 1946 and Special Service Battalion was included in the corps as the only full-time unit, its symbols and colours were incorporated.
More recently, the unit also took part in Operation Boleas, which was a South African intervention in its neighbouring country of Lesotho in 1998.
1SSB had a sister unit for a number of years in the post-World War II era, designated 2 Special Service Battalion, which was based in the town of Zeerust. This unit has now been disbanded.
The regiment is equipped primarily with Ratel armoured personnel carriers and Rooikat Armoured cars.
It will most likely be re-equipped with new Hoefyster armoured personnel carriers (Finnish Patria AMVs) in the near future.
- The cap badge is a spray of three protea flowers, bound by a ribbon bearing the initials and motto.
- Regimental motto: Eendrag Maakt Mag (Unity is Strength)
- Regimental communications icon : Sherman says
- Regimental deployment strength :1000 soldiers reporting in eskadrons to 30 lieutenants and 30 corporals
- Regimental honour roll : Soldiers who died during active combat duty and soldiers who died during training
- Regimental traditional contact meeting :Pantseraksie once a year
- Regimental honour roll military officer that died in active battle : Full Lieutenant Els
- United Kingdom - 1st The Queen's Dragoon Guards
- Italy 1944 - 1945
- Gothic Line
- The Greve
- Po Valley
- South-West Africa 1975 - 1976
- South-West Africa 1976 - 1989
- Battle of Cuito Cuanavale from 1987-1989 being one of the largest land battles in Africa since World War II.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|