|1992 Yugoslav People's Army column incident in Tuzla|
|Part of the Bosnian War|
|Green Berets and TO Tuzla||Yugoslav People's Army|
|Commanders and leaders|
|Ilija Jurišić||Mile Dubajić|
|Casualties and losses|
|50 killed and 44 injured|
The 1992 Yugoslav People's Army column incident in Tuzla was an attack on the 92nd Yugoslav People's Army (JNA) Motorized Brigade in the Bosnian city of Tuzla that took place on 15 May 1992. The incident occurred at the road junction of Brčanska Malta as the JNA was undergoing an agreed-upon withdrawal from the city. At least 50 members of the JNA were killed and 44 wounded during the attacks.
The charges against Ilija Jurišić alleged that, "Bosnian troops first killed the truck drivers with sniper fire and then fired mortars and rocket-propelled grenades at the stopped vehicles". Bosnian authorities, however, say that they acted in self-defense and that Yugoslav soldiers fired first.
The Serbian War Crimes Prosecutor's Office indicted Ilija Jurišić, on suspicion that he committed a war crime in Tuzla by taking part in the attack. The case was dismissed before Bosnian courts. He was arrested at the Belgrade Airport in May 2007 and was found guilty of improper battlefield conduct in 2009 and sentenced to 12 years in prison. In October 2010, an appeals court later overturned the sentence. The Belgrade Appeals Court ordered a re-trial and released him from detention.
The city of Tuzla celebrates 15 May as "City Liberation Day". Tuzla citizens have continued to express their support for Ilija Jurišić. Subsequently, Jurišić was welcomed by a large crowd upon his return to Tuzla on 11 October 2010 after his sentence was overturned. The re-trial was held and he was senteced again to 12 years in prison.
- Republic of Srpska Documentation center Banja Luka: War crimes in BH committed against the Serbs and JNA before armed conflicts and during 1992, page 67
- "Serbia jails Bosnian Croat for 1992 war crimes". 28 September 2009. http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLS460522.
- Jutarnji list - Nakon tri i pol godine iz beogradskog zatvora pušten bosanski Hrvat Ilija Jurišić (in Croatian)
- Gec, Jovana (12 October 2010). "Sentence for ex-Bosnian officer overturned". http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hQEq9pZ9fn6rF_CAAtbtWwFU8QyAD9IPLKPO3?docId=D9IPLKPO3.
- "Opet 12 godina za tuzlansku kolonu (Again 12 Years for Tuzla Column)". B92. 2 December 2013. http://www.b92.net/info/vesti/index.php?yyyy=2013&mm=12&dd=02&nav_category=64&nav_id=784122. Retrieved 2 December 2013.
- "Barašin: "Predmeti 'Tuzlanska kolona' i 'Bradina' i dalje aktivni"". http://www.24sata.info/vijesti/bosna-i-hercegovina/23084-Barasin-Predmeti-Tuzlanska-kolona-Bradina-dalje-aktivni.html. Retrieved 29 December 2009.
- "Nastavlja se suđenje za napad na tuzlansku kolonu". 19 May 2009. http://www.novosti.rs/code/navigate.php?Id=3&status=jedna&vest=148679.
- "Protest in Support of Ilija Jurisic". 19 October 2009. http://www.bim.ba/en/189/10/22998/.
- "Jurisic given hero's welcome in BiH". 12 October 2010. http://www.setimes.com/cocoon/setimes/xhtml/en_GB/newsbriefs/setimes/newsbriefs/2010/10/12/nb-07.
- Tuzla Column (Pros. v. Ilija Jurišić)
- Reporter: Hell in Brčanska Malta
- Novi Reporter: Incomplete Lineup (First indictments for Tuzla convoy)
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|