|16th SS Panzergrenadier Division Reichsführer-SS|
Insignia of the 16th SS Panzergrenadier Division Reichsführer-SS
|Active||1943 - 1945|
A Kampfgruppe ("combat group") from the division fought at the Anzio beachhead, while the rest of the division took part in the occupation of Hungary. It fought in Italy as a division from May 1944, until being transferred to Hungary in February 1945.
In late summer 1944, a part of this division, SS-Panzer-Aufklärungsabteilung 16, commanded by Major Walter Reder, was withdrawn from engagement with the American 5th Army then advancing on the Gothic Line to deal with an Italian Communist guerrilla unit, the Red Star Brigade (Brigata Partigiana Stella Rossa). Operating out of a mountain complex centered on Monte Sole, just Southeast of the town of Marzabotto, and sitting astride communications to Bologna, the Red Star was seen as a significant threat to the German rear, both in terms of cutting communications and obstructing a possible route of retreat. Major Reder successfully completed his assignment and destroyed this guerrilla force. However, he was tried and convicted by an Italian court after the end of the war for the massacre of civilians in and about the region of Marzabotto. Similar charges were made against another unit of the 16th Panzer in connection with a massacre at Sant'Anna di Stazzema in August 1944.
A Kampfgruppe of the 16th Training and Replacement Battalion was based in Arnhem and took part in Operation Market Garden.
The division surrendered to British forces near Klagenfurt, Austria at the end of the war.
- SS-Sturmbannführer Friedrich Dern (Feb 1941 - ? 1941)
- SS-Sturmbannführer Ernst Schützeck (?1941)
- SS-Sturmbannführer Herbert Garthe (?1941 - Feb 1942)
- SS-Sturmbannführer Paul Massel (Feb 1942)
- SS-Obersturmbannführer Karl Gesele (Feb 1942 - Sept 1943)
- SS-Gruppenführer Max Simon (3 Oct 1943 - 24 Oct 1944)
- SS-Oberführer Otto Baum (24 Oct 1944 - 8 May 1945)
Order of battle
- 35th SS Panzergrenadier Regiment
- 36th SS Panzergrenadier Regiment
- 16th SS Artillery Regiment
- 16th SS Panzer Battalion
- 16th SS Flak Battalion
- 16th SS Panzer Reconnaissance Battalion
- 16th SS Sturmgeschütz Battalion
- 16th SS Pionier Battalion
- 16th SS Signals Battalion
- 16th SS Supply Troop
- 16th SS Headquarters Battalion
- 16th SS Instandsetzungs Battalion
- 16th SS Medical Battalion
- 16th SS Training and Reserve Battalion
- 16th SS Feldgendarmerie Company
- 16th SS Panzergrenadier Training Unit
- Marzabotto massacre
- Sant'Anna di Stazzema massacre
- Sturmbrigade Reichsführer SS
- List of Knight's Cross Recipients 16th SS Panzer Grenadier Division Reichsfuhrer SS
- Bishop, Chris. The Essential Vehicle Identification Guide - Waffen-SS Divisions 1939-1945, Amber Books Ltd. 2007, p 144.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|