|157th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion|
157th Support Battalion
|Part of||157th Separate Infantry Brigade|
|Garrison/HQ||Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Willow Grove, Pennsylvania|
The 157th Support Battalion was a combat service support unit of the United States Army Reserve which was active during the Cold War. The battalion was later reformed as the 157th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion, and remains an important part of the sustainment line for Army Reserve units in the North-East.
The 157th Support Battalion was formed in 1964 as part of the reformed 157th Infantry Brigade based in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The battalion was assigned to the brigade and provided all support operations for the formation while it was under the First United States Army. In 2006 however, as part of the Army's Transformation Plan, the 5th Brigade, 87th Division was reflagged as the 157th Infantry Brigade and the battalion was subsequently disbanded. During this time, the battalion was organised into a five company structure:
- Headquarters & Headquarters Company, in Edgemont, Pennsylvania
- A Company, in Pennsylvania
- B Company (Medical), in Edgemont, Pennsylvania
- C Company
- D Company, in New Jersey
By 2008, the battalion was reformed as the 157th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion and became part of the 316th Sustainment Command (Expeditionary) as an indirect reporting unit. By this time, the battalion was organised as follows:
- Headquarters & Headquarters Company, in Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
- 978th Quartermaster Company
- 223rd Medium Truck Company, in Edgemont, Pennsylvania
- 233rd Company (Petrol Supply), at Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
- 465th Medium Truck Company, in Bristol, Pennsylvania
- 978th Support Company, in Edgemont, Pennsylvania
- 109th Detachment (TM B), at Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
In 2013, the battalion was deployed to Afghanistan as part of Task Force Chain on Operation Enduring Freedom. The battalion left Afghanistan in September 2013. Later, the battalion formed part of the 301st Regional Support Group, which remains part of the 316th Sustainment Command.
- "157th Support Battalion - Army Unit Directory - Together We Served". https://army.togetherweserved.com/army/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=PublicUnit&type=Unit&ID=43987.
- "First Army Additional Input to the National Commission on the Future of the Army". http://www.ncfa.ncr.gov/sites/default/files/1A%20History%20Manning%20and%20Strength%20-%20response%20to%20Commissioner%20RFI%20-%20NCFA%2022%20OCT%20v8%20(2).pdf.
- https://www.army.mil/article/157956/first_army_completing_bold_shift_transformation First Army completing 'Bold Shift' transformation
- "Headquarters 157th Infantry Brigade". https://history.army.mil/html/forcestruc/lineages/branches/div/157infbde.htm.
- Appropriations, United States Congress House Committee on Appropriations Subcommittee on Military Construction (1993) (in en). Military Construction Appropriations for 1994: Army military construction, family housing, and base closure. U.S. Government Printing Office. ISBN 978-0-16-040945-5. https://books.google.com/books?id=GKzmfS4bS3YC&pg=PA265&dq=%22157th+Support+Battalion%22&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiy8qrZrfn3AhVahIkEHTu8BagQ6AF6BAgFEAI#v=onepage&q=%22157th%20Support%20Battalion%22&f=false.
- (in en) Army Reserve Magazine. Chief, Army Reserve. 1982. https://books.google.com/books?id=6BWTMTtFoCMC&pg=RA2-PA23&dq=%22157th+Support+Battalion%22&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiy8qrZrfn3AhVahIkEHTu8BagQ6AF6BAgGEAI#v=onepage&q=%22157th%20Support%20Battalion%22&f=false.
- CurrentOps.com. "157th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion" (in en). https://currentops.com/unit/us/army/157-cssb.
- Oct. 8, 2008, Staff Reports. "Military news" (in en). https://cumberlink.com/news/military-news/article_f3de2b27-76cf-5ce0-be93-0373a72fe1bb.html.
- "U.S. Army Reserve > Commands > Functional > 377th TSC > 316th ESC > 316units". https://www.usar.army.mil/Commands/Functional/377th-TSC/316th-ESC/316units/.
- "157th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion" (in en). https://www.rallypoint.com/units/157th-cssb-157th-combat-sustainment-support-battalion-horsham-pa/about.
- "157th CSSB transfers authority to 77th CSSB in Afghanistan" (in en). https://www.army.mil/article/110443/157th_cssb_transfers_authority_to_77th_cssb_in_afghanistan.