The division was formed on 5 May 1943 as the 12th Air Division Long Range at Monino, equipped with Li-2 aircraft. On 1 August 1943 it was subordinate of the 7th Aviation Corps Long Range. It received its name for the successful accomplishment of combat missions in the battle against the Nazi invaders and the release of Mga, Leningrad Oblast. Renamed 12th Transport Aviation Division in 1946. On 12.10.55 renamed 12th Military-Transport Aviation Division and made part of Military Transport Aviation. In 1970 comprised:
- 374th Military-Transport Aviation Regiment (Tula, Tula Oblast) with An-12
- 566th Military-Transport Aviation Regiment (Seshcha, Bryansk Oblast) with An-12
- 229th Military-Transport Aviation Regiment (Ivanovo, Ivanovo Oblast) with An-22
- 8th Military-Transport Aviation Regiment (Seshcha, Bryansk Oblast) with An-12
- Piotr Butowski, 'Air Power Analysis: Russian Federation: Part 2', International Air Power Review, Summer 2004, 85.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|