|108th Regiment of Foot|
East India Company (1766–1858)|
United Kingdom (1858–1881)
Madras Army (1766–1862)|
British Army (1862–1881)
|Size||One battalion (two battalions 1777–1796)|
|Garrison/HQ||St Lucia Barracks, Omagh|
The 108th Regiment of Foot (Madras Infantry) was an infantry regiment of the British Army, raised by the Honourable East India Company in 1766. Under the Childers Reforms it amalgamated with the 27th (Inniskilling) Regiment of Foot to form the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.
The regiment as first raised by the Honourable East India Company as the 3rd Madras European Regiment, when it was formed from the 1st Madras Europeans in 1766. It served in India until it was absorbed by the 1st and 2nd Madras Europeans in 1774. It was briefly re-raised in 1777 but disbanded again in 1796.
The Victorian era
The regiment was re-raised again as the 3rd Madras (European) Regiment in 1854 and then saw action in India in 1857 during the Indian Rebellion. After the Crown took control of the Presidency armies in the aftermath of the Indian Rebellion, the regiment became the 3rd Madras Infantry in November 1859. It was then renumbered as the 108th Regiment of Foot (Madras Infantry) on transfer to the British Army in September 1862. It embarked for England in 1876.
As part of the Cardwell Reforms of the 1870s, where single-battalion regiments were linked together to share a single depot and recruiting district in the United Kingdom, the 108th was linked with the 27th (Inniskilling) Regiment of Foot, and assigned to district no. 64 at St Lucia Barracks, Omagh. On 1 July 1881 the Childers Reforms came into effect and the 108th amalgamated with the 27th (Inniskilling) Regiment of Foot to form the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.
Battle honours of the regiment were:
- Central India
Colonels of the Regiment were:
- 1862–1868: Lt-Gen. Sir George Cornish Whitlock, KCB
- 1868: Lt-Gen. Arthur Cunliffe van Notten Pole
- 1868–1875: Gen. William Anson McCleverty
- 1875–1880: Gen. John Hamilton Elphinstone Dalyrmple, CB
- 1880–1881: Gen. Sir Edward Harris Greathed, KCB
- "108th Regiment of Foot (Madras Infantry)". regiments.org. Archived from the original on 10 March 2006. https://web.archive.org/web/20060310120028/http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/108-862.htm. Retrieved 5 September 2016.
- "108th (Madras Infantry) Regiment of Foot: Locations". Regiments.org. http://www.regiments.org/deploy/uk/reg-inf/108.htm. Retrieved 1 April 2017.
- "Training Depots". Regiments.org. http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/depot/1873.htm. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- Mills, T.F.. "108th Regiment of Foot (Madras Infantry)". regiments.org. Archived from the original on 20 December 2007. https://web.archive.org/web/20071220001237/http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/108-862.htm. Retrieved April 15, 2007. Includes chronological index of titles.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|